1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Retaining wall pricing, again

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by conepile, Apr 5, 2003.

1. conepile

conepile LawnSite Member

I know these type of questions can be tiresome, but my search did not yield the results I was seeking.

This is related to a question I had in November, http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35738

The client did did decide he wanted a retaining wall, and he wants the Belgard Celtic wall. The dimensions will be one wall at approximately 60 linear feet, and two feet high, on a slope, and a second wall behind it approximately 25 linear feet, and 1 foot high. Given the slope (it slopes down and then turns back up into the hill around the corner of the house), I estimate approximately 110 square feet of face above grade.

I figured I'd order 132 sq/ft face of material, plus 90 linear feet of cap, and 6 tons of base and backfill (plus adhesive, drain tile, fabric).

Am I far off here? Also, pricing: I know this product is expensive, but I frankly don't know what is considered a fair margin. I don't normally do walls, but I figure I should (theoretically) be able to complete this in two or three days. If I come to him and say $4200, is this reasonable, too low, too high? To me, I wouldn't want to pay that much for a wall like this.

One other thing, I'm looking for less-expensive alternatives and could use some suggestions. Previous posts suggested Keystone (too big) and Anchor. Any others? The Anchor product is available at a local discount home supply, and I'm concerned about the appearance of charging a premium price and using a product that may be associated with the low end (I'm not saying Anchor is low end. Do you understand what I mean?).

Any help is appreciated, as I am to present the quote to the client this week..

2. conepile

conepile LawnSite Member

My client had to leave town on business, so I have a little more time.

Can anyone offer some insight? Is my pricing in a reasonable ballpark? Any suggestions for alternatives for using Belgard Celtik Wall?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

3. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

Price seems reasonable though I have no clue about Belgard. Are you allowing enough material to bury a block for base? I'm getting 145 face feet and your ordering 132 + cap. So I think you might be light. Bout all I can add.