1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

retention

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Brendan Smith, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

who here tracks customer retention percentages, and what do you average year to year? looking at the books, i am averaging 91-95% retention yearly and want some numbers to compare that to to see if i'm in line.

2. Elite Lawn Care

Elite Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I Do, B/C I think it says allot about your customer Service. I usually drop about 1 customer a year. Usually it is the hardest to deal with one. This year I will drop one b/c he is always trying to weasel free stuff out of me. I spent an extra three hours once (for free) picking weeds from flower bed since they had a perspective buyer flying in that night, and he said I did not do a good enough job, he couldn't show me any reason why. I almost droped him on the spot but, Comercial contract keeps me till Nov. and its a big account for new Multi-$$$ houses that are on the market.

However Do have about a 95% retention rate, I almost had 100% this year but a property manager misrepresented me to the homeowner and promised more than I offer for my basic services, no big deal since I picked a job that paid 2X's better to replace that one. After I talked with the HO the manager lost a client too:)
    So yes I track'm.

3. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

my rate is usually about 97%. This year i expect it to drop to about 90%. I too normally only drop about one customer per year, but i'll tell ya the pitas really came out this year. I have dropped 2 so far and have threatened to drop another, but he staightened up his act.

4. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

For the last couple years, it has been 100%... i do expect that to change though, as this year i am expanding quite a bit.

5. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

bump - anyone else?

6. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

This year I dont plan on dropping any of my 10 customers...LOL Funny now, I hope to have 3x's that many come next year. even though Ill be trying to get more the rest of this year.

7. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

I've prolly got 40% retention rate. Weed a lot of the commercials. No residential. Commercials change hands with management often. Not too concerned as there is lots of work out there...:laugh: