1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Retrofit Lights in existing pool??HELP??

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Cam.at.Heritage, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Cam.at.Heritage

Cam.at.Heritage LawnSite Member

So we are putting in an automatic pool cover for a client and they are asking if we can retrofit a color changing light into their pool. They don't have any lights in the pool now so I am not sure how to the best way to start is.

Figured I would bore a hole on the pool then mortar/epoxy the housing in. Then drill down from the top(we are redoing the pool decking) and run the wires down so there are no holes below water level. I was hoping to find a light that was a smaller like 4" instead of the regular large 6-10" ones.

Any advise or places to look would be helpful.

2. stebs

stebs LawnSite Senior Member

Cant really help you with the how to on this, but if you're wanting a smaller fixture, look into the spa version of the SAM light or the SAL light made by Pentair. I'm also fairly certain that you'll need to put in a "deck box" near the light that sticks up out of the ground, cant remember the specifics on that though.

3. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

I would run away from that one. Too little money and way too much liability on a pool retrofit.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Richie@

Richie@ LawnSite Member

You had better get a License Electrician for this job, one who In fact does Electrical for Pools.

5. emby

emby LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Cam,

Call me when you have a moment to discuss.
    519-861-5028

Ken Martin

6. Tomwilllight

Tomwilllight LawnSite Senior Member

There is way too much liability involved. Everything from the electrical/water problems to punching a hole in the side of a pool that will probably leak.

Wall away René, walk away....

Tom