reversible plate compactor running backwards

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by BrandonV, Sep 21, 2017.

1. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey guys. I have a BPUxxx reversible plate compactor that I've sunk a bunch of $$ into lately. trying to get it running right again. It needed new bearings on the rollers (where the weights are) but I the shop that did it for me orgianally gave it back to me without it working correctly... wouldn't move. I took it back and after another month or so they still hadn't looked at it. I pick it up today tore it down at our shop and put it back together this time it now works great... just reverse from what it should. IE to go forwards you now pull back on the control lever and to go forwards you pull on it. I'm at a loss for how to fix this. All the shop was supposed to do originally was change the bearings...

no one around here knows how to work on these big tamps since none of the contractors seem to buy them expcept me. the biggest thing i could rent while mine was down was a 300# unit and mine is a 700#... took forever

HELP!

2. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know what kind of hydraulic controller reversible plate compactors have (electric or manual) but it sounds like a bad servo controller. try flipping the wires on the servo circuit (it should be on the hydraulic pump) if that doesn't work then see if it has two hydraulic hoses coming out of the pump that might have been flipped. That's doesn't seem like something that would happen, but you never know.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  3. P.L.

P.L. LawnSite Member
    from USA

You probably have to bleed the hydraulic portion of the unit. Every unit is a bit different so the process may be different too. Also the fluid may have to be changed and then blead if is dirty or has water in it. As far as I know the hydraulics do is control a small piston that goes in and out reversing the vibration causing the compactor to go each direction. It works like kinda like brakes on a car and if it gets air in the lines it gets all screwed up. I would try and fine a owners maunal and look up how to maintain/ bleed the hydraulics. I just had the same problem on a big bomag and after I changed the fluid and bled the system all was good. They are not really to complicated once you understand how they work. The motor, the hydraulics and the vibrator are all separate from each other and need to be maintained separate.

hort101 likes this.