1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

Review my reasoning please.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Advance_lawn_care, Mar 8, 2020.

1. Advance_lawn_care

Advance_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member
    from AR

If my business grows thru March and April the way I'm suspecting I may buy a better ztr this year. Ive basically decided on the ferris is600z. Seen mixed reviews on hill side performance in ztr vs stander. I'm thinking at 1000 pounds and 57 inches wide on the 52 inch model hill side performance should be comparable and I get the sit down preference I want. I currently run a 48 ztr and a 36 hydro walk. The extra 4 inches from 48 to 52 I guessing wont be killer in terms of scalping as long as I feather the deck. Other considerations was going to the is700 for the icd deck. I chose against it because reviews I read said the icd doesnt like thick wet overgrown growth which I end up plowing thru. Have alot of eow accounts. My mowing is in Arkansas. Bermuda, centipede, Saint Augustine and then the clover/weedy lawns.

Going from 48 to 52 makes me a little nervous but I'm not sure the concern is justified. I have the 36 hydro for gates. Pretty good spread of properties from 1/4 acre to 3/4 acre. Tend to avoid anything over an acre. Higher end clients are all steep lakeside properties, I think the extra 10 inch wheel base on the 52 will be rewarding.

Whats your thoughts?

Over all I think comfort and hill side performance are my biggest concerns.

Kingsmen20015 likes this.
  2. Kingsmen20015

Kingsmen20015 LawnSite Member

I think your on the right path. Go with your gut, you know your buisness. I recently got a 52in there was a few spots I wasn't able to get into with out another mower a little more turf damage(may just be me or my area high water table). I was extremely hesitant to get a stander but I finally pulled the plug. Just the on and off is nice. Also Ballard has a seat attachment for the stand on.

3. OP
    OP
    Advance_lawn_care

from AR

Ive got many hours thinking this over. I'm also picking up a toro 30 which will basically become my trim mower. Hope to use it as little as possible, have some lake houses on steep slopes that dead end at water, not willing to risk my hydro walk or z on them, not worth it.

Mowing setup will be awd husqvarna 21 inch, toro time master 30 inch, bradley 36 hydro walk, 52 inch ferris is600z. Should be effective at nearly any property I want with that setup.

I like my sulky on the bradley and I like the on and off and how nimble it is. I see where a stander would maneuver much better than a ztr. I just know from riding on the sulky I would rather sit more. Figure I'll have this next mower I buy for a while. Get something that will take care of me as I age.

Kingsmen20015 likes this.
  4. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

The icd deck is going to be better at everything than the lower quality deck on the smaller/cheaper machine you’re considering, just so you know.

when they compare or complain about a flag ship deck, they are comparing them to OTHER flagship decks, so you’re not going to get better/different performance by going down the food chain in the same line of mowers.

if that’s your main worry then you need to look at other manufacturers to get the performance you’re looking for.

personally
    If you have competent commercial level equipment already, getting a new one is a mistake.
    New stuff is fun, but something new isn’t growing your business efficiently or responsibly, it just satisfied your need to feel like you’re gaining and getting better.

if your business is growing close to the level where you need more production to keep up, step one is to raise your prices, not grow for the sake of lining Ferris’s pockets.

step 2 evaluate which customers you can do without and are not making a good margin

Step 3 replace those customers with better ones.

step 4 then and only then evaluate what equipment you need to upgrade to, your new, better, more profitable customer list mag look entirely different than what you had been doing and maybe you need to buy a 60 that vacs?
    Maybe you need a 36 that mulches?
    You just don’t know yet

5. Kingsmen20015

Good job man. What's your 48in mower?

6. Kingsmen20015

7. MowDaddy

MowDaddy LawnSite Fanatic

Excellent post !!

8. OP
    OP
    Advance_lawn_care

from AR

I agree, which is why I decided to add the toro 30 for now. My ztr is a husqvarna rz4824f with 150 hours. I dont like it by any means but I think I can make due by using the toro 30 and my hydro walk more effectively. I'm up and down steep hills and dragging tarps of leaves so I trust it to around 400 hours since it has ezt transmissions. After that a new dependable commercial mower is worth it to protect my client base that wont put up with broken tools.

I dont mind spending more for the icd deck if it will reduce stragglers and double cuts. I heard some complain about clumping in wet grass but then again....eow suck anyways.... So for a mower I want to have around a while a flag ship deck is the way to go?

9. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

flagship decks have names
    Icd
    Velocity plus
    Take my money
    Dewie cheetum enhow

those are going to be the highest performing decks
    Decks without names are like swords with out names
    No one raves about sir sleeps in gutters and his fabulous pointy metal stick they rave about King Arthur and Excalibur
    But pointy metal stick still does the job.

there is no magic weapon that cuts through huge wet grass in a single pass with no stringers or clumps
    That’s a myth
    So is Excalibur

10. OP
    OP
    Advance_lawn_care

from AR

Thanks, this helped clear up my concerns.