Ride-on Boom spraying in SWFL

Ric

LawnSite Fanatic
In Semi-Retirement, I now have 4, 150 gallon Toro Golf Course style ride-on sprayers. Each is set up to do one type of application because I am too lazy to clean them. I just load the same product.

Toro 1 has a 12 ft boom and is calibrated to do Chemical Mowing (PGR to stop growth up to 3 months. This is only cost-effective in large areas of Utility turf like Pastures that no longer have horse/cattle, Industrial storage yards, Common ground where turf quality is not an issue. Chemical Mowing will also do weed control if done regularly.

Toro 2 is boomless and is strictly insecticide for Fire Ant, flea & tick control, etc. This unit has a center, right, and left nozzles and can spray 8 ft wide or up to 32 ft wide.

Toro 3 has 18 ft booms and is calibrated for weed & feed mainly in pastures. 18 ft booms need a lot of space with no obstructions. There is a market in the smaller 2 to 20-acre hobby farms

Toro 4 is boomless the same as Unit 2 but is used on fine turf to apply full fert & squirt with Weed Killer etc. I have been subcontracting HOA Common ground from other companies.

I can spray an acre in less than 10 minutes and I am getting great chem prices because of the volume. Common Ground and Pasture spraying prices start at $ 50 an acre. Can I spray one acre for $ 50? No way travel time alone would eat me up. But 5 acres @ $ 50 an acre is very doable.

BOTTOM LINE.

While there is a NEED to treat large areas, there isn't a big DEMAND. The Z sprayers are great, BUT they don't put down or hold the volume of the Toro GC sprayers. Therefore I am subcontracting from a couple of companies that don't have my type of equipment.

OP
Ric

Ric

LawnSite Fanatic
Nice to see you Ric, But what is your point you looking for work

Charles

Just bragging that all. After years of fine turf, this is more of a hobby for me. All 4 of my sprayers were rebuilt by my friend & mechanic. I dought I will ever break even. But it is a reason to wake every morning.

The NITCH MARKET I am after is the hobby farmer/landowner with up to 25 acres. The Ag Custom applicators don't like small jobs and most pesticide company's Z Srayer are to small. Pastures can be ruff.

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
Well, reading your post was a real buzzkill. Up to this point I had felt pretty good about owning four backpack sprayers. Lol

Sounds like you have a really nice set up! Keep up the good work. Nice to see you posting on here again!

Last edited:

CHARLES CUE

LawnSite Gold Member
Charles

Just bragging that all. After years of fine turf, this is more of a hobby for me. All 4 of my sprayers were rebuilt by my friend & mechanic. I dought I will ever break even. But it is a reason to wake every morning.

The NITCH MARKET I am after is the hobby farmer/landowner with up to 25 acres. The Ag Custom applicators don't like small jobs and most pesticide company's Z Srayer are to small. Pastures can be ruff.

I see just dont pat your self on the back to hard nice to see your still up and about. Yes a person need some thing to do to keep them going sitting around all day and watching TV sucks

Top Forums