• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

ride-on spreader/sprayer

jasontimm

LawnSite Senior Member
I have been reading a lot of the threads on the ride on spreader sprayer, getting a lot of great ideas on the topic. I'm currently pulling a hose and pushing a spreader, works fine, but it is taking too long to get some of these larger jobs done. Yesterday i stopped at my JDL dealer and looked at the PG, they had last years model, the Magnum discounted to $6500.00 dollars. Looks like a nice machine, however i've been scatching my head trying to figure out why the hell they cost so much. I know that you can spend a lot more on other models with more options, but wow! there isnt much to them. I do take in mind the fact that you can make it pay for itself, but it feels like we are getting ripped off by these companies. Am i wrong? feel free to try to make me feel better about the price, because i'm afraid i'm going to have to pull a trigger on one of them prior to first app. this spring.

~ Jason

Young Bros

LawnSite Senior Member
We started out buying a used PG Ultra. Did not get the spary working good last season so it was a motorized spreader. Saved us a lot of labor. Used Magnums at other companies, better than an Ultra. Test drove a T3000, as soon as we can afford we will get one. I will use the Ultra and my bro will use the T3000 before we hire another employee, cause a T3000 will be cheaper and do as much work as another employee. Buy a used if that is what you can afford like us, if you can afford new, go for it, it will save you time, labor, and will be able to work longer days. Push spreading acres and acres is not fun, we know!

sprayboy

LawnSite Bronze Member
Jason,
I believe mowers are more overpriced than ride on sprayers.
These ride-ons have alot of stainless steel in them, or at least some of them do, which is very expensive.
The spraying parts, pumps, valves, nozzles, ect and spreading parts, hoppers and impeller motors are not cheap items.
Try and price all this out seperately and you will be surprised at the figures you come up with.

rcreech

Sponsor
Everything in this world is overpriced...but you can buy it for less then building it and you don't have to worry about it being a bad design or it failing on you.

The PG is a great machine and it will make you a ton of money. If you buy a used machine you may be able to save a couple grand!

These machines are worth their weight in gold...but I also remember being just like you and losing sleep over my first ride on!

My last Z-Spray was over $11,000 and I didn't even bat an eye because I know what it does for me!

Jason Rose

LawnSite Fanatic
You are paying a lot for the engineering of the machine. there's a LOT of work that went into design and research that you are paying for in the end. Plus they know they can price them at that level because you can't buy somethign like it at every hardware store.

The PG unit is worth the money, but plan on a good amount of time for calibration and also adding the small boom on the front. I'm wanting to bump mine up to at least 1/2 a gal per 1,000 output rate and rely more on my nurse tank to refill as needed. Just need to find the right nozzles.

jbell36

LawnSite Bronze Member
i completely agree, i was actually thinking yesterday that a good ride on sprayer/spreader cost at least 7-8000 which is completely rediculous...i agree on the fact that it will make you money real fast, but this price seems way too high...i do compare it to mowers, and given like someone previously posted there is a few things on a spreader like stainless steel that costs a lot more but there is still not enough to the machine to justify 8000 dollars...we bought two brand new grandstands last year for 6800/machine...there is no way a spreader should cost anywhere near the price of a new hydro 23 hp mower let alone more than one...

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
I agree with OP - especially some of the lower tech ride-ons like the Magnum. Way, way overpriced.

rcreech

Sponsor
I don't think a bottle of water should cost $1.00.

I don't think a new diesel pickup should cost $60,000 either!

All I am saying is that it doesn't matter if any of us think a ride on is expensive...you either get our your check book or keep it in your pocket!

It doesn't matter how much it cost them to make it....it is what it is!

CHARLES CUE

LawnSite Gold Member
I would say a ride on spreader mark up is high because there is a smaller market so you have to make more money per idem. If they sold 2 mil a year they would cost less. Try to build one your self and you would find out. It's like skid sprayers go get a price on all the parts new engine/ pump / ele hose reel /tank /steel /hoses /strainer buy all these parts by them self you would have all most as much as buying one. But it will pay for it's self it will take at least half the time you only go ouver the yard once.
Charles Cue

indyturf

LawnSite Bronze Member
If you get a new PG you can use it for 4-5 years and if you take care of it its still worth about half what you paid for it. if your buying new I would go ahead and get the latest model Triumph. looks like they made some good changes and it will hold its value longer than a Magnum since its now an older model. but I would say if your half way mechanically inclined to buy a used one. they are very simple to work on, I plan on keeping my two Centri's going as long as possible.