Lawn Care Forum banner

Ride on Spreader-Sprayer

20K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  grass4gas 
#1 ·
We have a fairly successful plant health care division of our landscaping company and have since the beginning used a two man system--one pushing spreader and one spraying. This worked because we didn't have a high volume of PHC clients as we limited our PHC services to only those clients who purchased or regular landscape maintenance services--we wanted to control all the variables--water, mowing, weed control, fertility etc. Now we are expanding our business and see the easy up-scaling aspect of our PHC services. I also am short handed and really would like to only have to use one applicator--days get really long when you push spreader and lug hose.

So I m in the beginning stages of research to look at a ride on spreader/sprayer unit.

In past lives I have experience with the older two generations of the permagreen and the old generation of the CS turf stealth unit (before it was stealthy). I wasn't in love with either of them--of the two I would choose the permagreen. I have a friend/competitor in town who has all three generations and he really isn't in love with the Triumph model.

We fertilize a wide variety of properties--all granular fertilizers, and mostly spot treatment of weeds unless it is a new to us client. Most of our clients have elaborate landscapes that I would be hesitant to spray around with a machine (close quarters, wind drift w/ low volume spray etc)

Average property size 17K to 20K square feet with a several over the acre mark.

Maneuverability, ease of load/unload, hill stability (we are in northern Vermont), longevity, ease of maintenance and availability of parts, and ease of operation.

I read the old thread on the Zspray and the t3000 and I don't need this to turn into a pissing match, but I do need to hear from users what is working and what isn't working--every machine has pluses and minuses--I just want to learn from your experience going into this.

Thanks

See less See more
#27 ·
Have not posted in quite awhile, just lurking, but wanted to comment on the ground logic.

For me, this was the best machine. I am solo and would like to give my reviews on this machine.

1. I used a PG Centri for 11 years, this was a no brainer for me. I got the XC which is the larger machine with the 16 gal tank and 220# hopper. I hate filling up on larger lawns, but it does make it a little more difficult to turn when at full capacity. Just use common sense.

2. I got mine equipped with the 2 nozzle spray bar and HIGHLY recommend it. I have always used a 2 nozzle setup and this works great. You do have to be somewhat careful when going through tight gates as you can hit the bar if you don't go in straight. The bar is no wider than the width of the machine, but can appear to be an optical illusion the first few times.

3. The 2gal/m mechanical pump is so much better than the PG. It has a very consistent spray pattern and weed control is very good. The trim nozzle works well also, although I have a hard time seeing the spray when using it. I only use on sidewalk strips that are real narrow, and don't use it around beds, which brings me to #4.

4. The optional spray attachment is also a must. It only comes with a 15' hose, but for me it works just fine. I guess you can use a longer one, but it saves a lot of back packing and works great along beds and for tight areas. Once you get used to it, you will even be spraying along the beds while riding. I had to use a Velcro strap to hold the trigger closed when using the wand if I needed to get off the machine to spray though.

5. After almost 400 hours, the only replacement I had to do was change out the drive belt due to stretching.

6. It can be hauled on a rack without a problem. I have the original PG rack, so I had to remove the hold down on the front so the GL would clear. That was the only thing I had to do. I use a heavy tie down strap on the outer tire and a lighter tie down around the yoke on the sulky.

7. The gear shift lever is down low, so you need to bend down to shift gears. After getting used to it, you can use your foot to change gears as needed.

8. The one down side I have found is the open area between the tank and the back of the hopper. It is a small ledge and will/does collect material. I talked to Brice about this and he seemed surprised...guess no one else complained. That was an oversight in my opinion. Until I can figure out a better way, or if a fix comes along, I will continue to just roll up fert bags and stuff to close the gap and change out when needed.

Over-all I am very pleased with this unit. Like any new machine, there is learning curve, but this was very easy. You do need to get used to squeezing the trigger for the spray system to engage instead of a electrical switch like what was on the PG. There is no parking break, although I believe the newer models have them.

I use this machine on any size lawn that I can...it is that nimble.

In closing, when looking for a new machine, you need to get one that works best for you or your company. I demoed the PG Triumph, Z-intermediate and the Turfex and did not think they were a good fit for me. I tried to get a demo for the T3000, but was unable to.

#29 ·
What model u getting?

The spray bar was around $220.00 I believe.

It provides around a 9' spray pattern. Remember, it isn't any wider than the machine.

Make sure to either get the spray wand...think I paid around $100.00 installed when I bought the machine.

#30 ·
What model u getting?

The spray bar was around $220.00 I believe.

It provides around a 9' spray pattern. Remember, it isn't any wider than the machine.

Make sure to either get the spray wand...think I paid around $100.00 installed when I bought the machine.
I am get the pathfinder. The 2014 model. I thought the standard set up have you a 10 foot spray patten
Posted via Mobile Device

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.