Ride On Spreader

Field General

LawnSite Member
I have been running my lawncare buisness for about 12 years now.....Next year I will be 50 years old and simply cannot push a spreader like I used to. I am looking into a ride on unit.....I would appreciate any and all input on the models that are out there.

Thank you all in advance...Tim

turfcobob

LawnSite Senior Member
I have been running my lawncare buisness for about 12 years now.....Next year I will be 50 years old and simply cannot push a spreader like I used to. I am looking into a ride on unit.....I would appreciate any and all input on the models that are out there.

Thank you all in advance...Tim
I would advise you to take a look at and test drive the Turfco T3000. Turfco put a lot of thinking and planning into the machine to make it easy for the over 50 (Baby Boomers) to be able to operate. Also it was designed from the beginning to be effective on smaller residential lawns as well as the large commercial lawns. I can personally advise you on how to set up your truck to remove more of the labor involved. Being over 64 and still active I know what you are now facing. You may want to look into Gravity Defier shoes with the spings in the heels. I got them and they are amazing for walking. Give me a call sometime. I can also set you up with our guy Will to have him stop by with a demo unit. Turfcobob 520-836-8162 cell 402-432-2446

CHARLES CUE

LawnSite Gold Member
I would definitely look at the T3000 we have one and love it. Great on hills and small and large yards. I did a 35 acre job this fall it did a awesome job. I use it for every thing.

There are others to like permagreen Z spray good luck in your search.

Charles Cue

gregory

LawnSite Bronze Member
Tim, I know where you're coming from. After working for ChemLawn Corp for many years, I got tired of "making them money". So at age 35, I took the risk of starting my own business. There were no good ride-ons available, so we pulled hoses/pushed spreaders -- even on very large properties.

Then we started using Permagreen ride-on's. This helped to some extent, but performance still lacked.

Z-Spray's came next, but they had problems of their own.

As of 2012, the T3000 has proven itself to be Way above the "competition".
Ain't just me. Cuz 25 or more of these units are currently being used in my market. Must be a reason?
what problems did the z sprays have? when i got my jr in '07 i looked at both the pg and the z spray and the jr was night and day difference in the pg. i do not know of any problems with the z spray...

gregory

LawnSite Bronze Member
Tim, i would do what turfco bob said and demo the t3000 and then see if you can do the same with the z spray. i would test drive as many as you can and look at them to see how well they would fit your buiness...if you have hills on your route test drive them all on hills to see how they handle. buy what fits your needs...which ever machine that will be....

also ground logic looks nice also...i have a z spray jr and havent had any problems with it.. but i only use it on my acre yard...

sprayboy

LawnSite Bronze Member
Tim,

I agree with gregory.
Try and demo as many units as you can and make your decision.
There are countless threads in the pesticide section about ride-ons.....you can spend days reading all of it and it still won't make as much sense as demoing them and see what you think fits your lawns the best.

OP
Field General

Field General

LawnSite Member
Thanks for the advice fellas. My plan was to do my research via computers and company literature now. Push my first round. Set up all my test drives after that and have the unit for my second round.

I have to say , I watched the Perma Green video, If I had an employee that treated a piece of my equipment like they were using that one in the video, he would be looking for another job. They were brutal with that thing.Makes me wonder how long it would hold up using it like that.

Plus this kinda sounds like the old Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge thing. I think I will have to try em all out and decide for myself.....

Thanks again.

CHARLES CUE

LawnSite Gold Member
Plus this kinda sounds like the old Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge thing. I think I will have to try em all out and decide for myself.....

Thanks again.
Yes you are right about that. Try as many as you can

I don't live in your back yard but may i be the first to offer if you would like to meat some where to try one out.Where in north east Ohio do you live i grew up in portage co.

Charles Cue