1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

Rider Productivity Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GrassRoots Lawn Care, Jul 9, 2000.

1. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Interesting post as I have been experimenting with this also. I have a Walker 42&quot;GHS with a 26EFI and the speed up kit (it also has the no-catch deflector so I can discharge out the back), I also have a Toro Proline 44&quot; Hydro with a Proslide. <br>I have a set of 4 adjoining properties. Before I got the new Walker I used the Toro and it took me aprox. 3 1/2 hours to mow, trim and blow. The Walker had me in and out in a about 2 3/4. I was much happier and less thirsty when I was done and tomorrow I'll feel the same way when I'm sitting.<p>The Toro is great for the hills and when its wet so my advise to you is get both.<p>Gene, I was considering buying a 54&quot; deck but your post has got me thinking to research this more. Thanks.<p><p><font size="1">Edited by: MOW ED

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Grassroots: We have 3 adjoining lawns that add up to 7.5 acres and we cut that with 2 Choppers in 50 minutes. As Gene mentioned about the clippings in flower beds, there is another option other than rear discharge. The DC's have the OCDC (Operator Controlled Discharge Chute) to keep clippings from going in flower beds in tight areas. A 60&quot; deck is what I have on my machines and I find I can mow about any lawn with them. For small areas around swimming pools, we use the 21&quot; and only carry it 1 day a week. You will increase production big time with a 60&quot; ZTR. Demo them all and see which one you like. I like the longevity of the DC's. :)<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

3. Parrot

Parrot LawnSite Member

i think 2 48 or 52 inch wbs would more productive for the money, hydros that is, no belts. midmounts seem to be alot of hype unless you have alot of relatively flat yards. i dont know, maybe 1 of each woud be all right if you can justify the 3 or 4 thousand dollar difference over the same size wb. i work alone so i dont want to have to have 2 mowers.

4. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Mike, I've been putting off buying a rider and just yesterday I rented a Walker with a 54&quot; deck. To my surprise I did not even have to get the 21&quot; off the trailer, just used the trimmer. I was afraid to buy a mower that big but now after yesterday I wouldn't buy anything smaller. You will be suprised where you can get, at least with the Walker I tried out. I will be buying a Walker in the near future. Good luck. Mowman

5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Parrot: If you are going to be in the lawn biss you NEED two of every thing that you use on a daily basis.Demo some compact riders just for ha ha's to see how much faster they are compared to wb.Start saving because you will fall in love with one in a hurry.

6. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Parrot: If you are going to be in the lawn biz you NEED two of every thing that you use on a daily basis.Demo some compact riders just for ha ha's to see how much faster they are compared to wb.Start saving because you will fall in love with one in a hurry.

7. Parrot

Parrot LawnSite Member

why would one person need two mowers? why would i spend an additional 6 to 8 grand on a rider that saves me about 10 to 15 minutes on about half of my yards and wouldnt even come off the trailer on the other half? I have demoed choppers, hoppers, lazers, & procuts. They're just not practical for a one man show with very diverse terrain to maintain, unless you're just fat and cant stand up for long. A wb can cut anything, a midmount cant, no rider can. I have owned or demoed them all, just about, in the last 9 years, and thats what i have learned.

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

&quot;I&quot; have 2 mowers! A new Exmark 36 that I bought in March of this year and a Gravely 50&quot; that I will be replacing next year with either a Exmark 60&quot; or Dixie Chopper 60&quot;. I use the 36 for gated yards and smaller yards. My Gravely 50 would cut the majority of my smaller yards but I feel as though the 36 makes the yards look better and larger. Also my 50 Gravely has difficuty in cutting anything but prime mowing conditions. I use the 50 for larger yards 1/2 acre and up.

9. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

It's always nice to have an extra mower as a back up, even for minor breakdowns just to finish a job up. A back up is nice to have too if you need extra help for a day or so if you get behind. Been there - done that. <p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://elmlawnsite.com/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

10. GREENSCAPE

GREENSCAPE LawnSite Member

If I were to buy a new zrt I would get the <br>jonh deere f680 60in with the 7-iron deck<br>it would be the last ztr you would have to buy for long time. Just take a look at one.<br>Kind of pricey, but damm productive. I demo'ed one the other day againest my my brother-in-laws 61&quot; GreatDane I smoked him.<br>And I know they (GD) are one of the most productive mowers on the market by far.<br>JUST IN CASE SOMEONE ASK, BOTH HAD ABOUT THE <br>SAME HOURS ON THEM. (Appple to apple.)<br> I would also like to mention we were mowing bahiagrass and the deere didn't leave any of those stobs if you know what I'm talking about.