Riding Applicator Hoppers

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Stinger Equipment, Mar 28, 2018.

?

Riding Applicator - Hopper Style

Poll closed Apr 25, 2018.
  1. Lesco 3-hole

10 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Spyker Hopper

11 vote(s)
    36.7%
  3. Hopper Doesn't Matter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 120 lbs hopper size

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. 150 lbs hopper size

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  6. 180 lb hopper size

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  7. 200 lb hopper size

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. Stinger Equipment

Stinger Equipment Sponsor

I'm collecting some information for a pet project. Any feedback on what hopper you alike and why would be greatly appreciated.

I'm designing and building the ultimate compact applicator designed to compete with the smaller units on the market (ie not the larger Z-Spray machines). The applicator will have a very unique drive system (frame and chassis) with capabilities not seen before. We have been working on the drive system for quite some time. It's very, very nice. The frame is scale-able (small and large models coming).

This first one will be small, compact, and able to side load into a van (my black Metris) or rackable. The 2nd model will be larger (48" wide) and compete with the larger Z-Spray Max machines.

I'm looking for input on what you want for the application side of the machine on a compact applicator.

The drive is already completed and you won't be disappointed I guarantee it!

Feel free to post on spray tank size for a smaller unit, if tank agitation is important, nurse tank option for 2nd chemical, single speed vs variable speed impeller, hopper size.

2. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Fanatic

Smaller unit:
    These are minimums.
    120lb hopper
    10 gals tank capacity
    Agitation is a MUST
    Variable speed impeller

My business is growing. I have been very satisfied with every Z-spray I have purchased and the service I have received. Depending on what piece of equipment you bring to the table and what moves Toro makes with LT Rich in the next few months, I could be swayed...I'll leave it at that.

Thanks for asking our opinion!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    Lawnappmo and Mark Oomkes like this.
  3. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

If you could make something that is compatible with the drop in Gregson Clark spreader mate, that would get my vote. I'm currently running a LT Rich Power Pro 50 mated to a Lesco spreader.

We don't have enough spray clients to justify a $5k+ piece of equipment but I would like to be more efficient.

4. ETM

ETM LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GEORGIA

I will be in market for a new rideon in September. Hope to demo some new equipment.

5. Reedo

Reedo LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from S.E. Minnesota

We are running a couple of the Z max ride ons. I would think better agitation and rider comfort would be things I would like improved. The foot platform is small and has a lip that my guys complain about chewing up their shins when on rough terrain. The agitation/pump on the Z’s is probably as good as any ride on but it’s nothing like the Toro multi-pro. We spray liquid fertilizer with the Z at times and have had some issues when experimenting with some products our multipro has no problem with. Overall it does pretty good but I expect it could be better.

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  6. Marine03112

Marine03112 LawnSite Bronze Member

Brother now that the break thru agitator is available for a three whole hopper there is no comparison. That little piece of metal made that hopper the best.

7. Marine03112

18 gallon or more would be nice on the smaller machine. Tank agitation is very nice but not a deal breaker etc.

8. Marine03112

Variable speed impeller is awesome on the toro love it. Would be a great addition to your machine. Glad to see stinger building an applicator

hort101 and ted putnam like this.
  9. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

Fertilizer comes in 50lb bags...120lb hoppers never made sense to me. 150lb hopper makes sense.

Veriable speed impeller is a must (and no electric motor) .
    Pm me...I have more great ideas I'd discuss with you.

10. buttaluv

buttaluv LawnSite Senior Member
    from MidWest

I'm excited to see this! I have an Intermediate now, and am looking for something smaller I can rack or put ina van...none of the smaller units really trip my trigger...