1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

rip rap coverage?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Tim C., Mar 16, 2009.

1. Tim C.

Tim C. LawnSite Member

I have a 3:1 slope that measures approx. 10x100. I need to cover it with 4x6 in. riprap and I am trying to figure out how many tons I will need.

2. FLCthes4:11-12

FLCthes4:11-12 LawnSite Senior Member

I rocked a dry creek bed and small detention pond last summer and got about 40-50 sqft per ton. Maybe able to stretch it a little depending on size of gaps between stone.

3. qualitycut

qualitycut LawnSite Member

One ton will cover 50 sq ft @ 4 in deep so I would say your in the 40-50 sq ft range also as your rock is 4-6 in.

4. swp

swp LawnSite Member

Timc, I have never found a formula that would work for any of the larger rock. What I do is price it by the truck load and figure in my labor, it seems to work out best for me that way.

5. Tim C.

Tim C. LawnSite Member

Thanks for your replies, I spoke with two different suppliers and they are saying 30-50sq./ton. so i think I will plan on around 40 like you guys are saying.:)

6. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

Same here 40 sq per ton is how we bid sub divison drainage and culverts.