Rip rap question.

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by zspeed130, Jun 11, 2015.

1. zspeed130

zspeed130 LawnSite Senior Member

If this needs to go elsewhere tell me. I manage the entire outside of a large condo complex with two decent sized retention ponds. They have rip rap for erosion control and it is really looking bad and half the rocks are in the ponds. Not to mention the kids throw them in the ponds for fun.

I have seen some erosion control areas where they use chicken wire or something to help retain the rip rap. Now that I'm looking I can't find a place that has this done so I can look at it. What is the best way to go about this? Best product to use how to stake it etc? Any help is much appreciated. I am tired of pond diving yearly to replace the rocks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. pede58

pede58 LawnSite Member

This is a bit old but......the wire your talking about is actually baskets filled with rock and are called gabions(spelling?) I've never seen staked rip rap but if it's moving your problem is undersized rock. I wish I had a good fix for you but maybe try getting a hoe in to bed the rock, take the bucket and pound it into the dirt/fabric, might help.

3. On a call

On a call LawnSite Gold Member

I just add more rock in the needed ares. eventually the need to add more ends.

4. Trey Brandt

Trey Brandt LawnSite Member

A little late in the reply but I would go with the chicken wire. Hope it turned out.