1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

Ripping up grass around two trees and installing mulch

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by justinpsmith, Jun 9, 2020.

1. justinpsmith

justinpsmith LawnSite Member

The job is the attached picture. Installing mulch around both trees on the right and left side of the picture, AND mulching everywhere in between. This would mean removing current grass too. The edges of the mulched area are going to be rounded, and the the whole thing will be edged.

I’m new to landscaping so I’m not sure what yalls prices would be, but I’d estimate 4-6 hours?

2D935885-5193-48CD-85D0-DB5D5E456485.png

Cam15 likes this.
  2. Crazy 4 grass

Crazy 4 grass LawnSite Platinum Member

Spray paint outline of bed. Cut nice natural edgewith shovel or machine. Round up all the grass.

After grass is dead, apply snap shot pre emergent. Apply mulch. Water the bed to activate pre emergent. No need to remove dead grass.

I wouldn't use landscape fabric its a pain under mulch.

Your time estimate sounds reasonable.

This method assumes you are licensed to apply chemicals. If not, then you may need to dig the grass out or something like that. Make sure to get all the roots or it will grow right back up through the mulch. I might consider landscape fabric to help prohibit this if going this route.

3. Youngandfree

Youngandfree LawnSite Member
    from VA

How much mulch are you figuring? I calculate my hourly for bed prep, and I charge $90-100/yard of mulch installed depending on dyed or undyed.

Cam15 and Crazy 4 grass like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    justinpsmith

justinpsmith LawnSite Member

I quoted $317-$329 depending on what type of mulch they choose. Figuring it’ll take just a bit over a cubic yard of mulch.

Crazy 4 grass and Youngandfree like this.
  5. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Fanatic

Did a job like this a month ago. But I don’t have a app license. I used crazy4s method of paint and cut all the grass out. Full disclosure I may have bent the rules a bit and used a small amount of round up around the tree trunk. But I didn’t charge them for the round up it was done on my own dime. Which from what a Landscaper told me was ok. As long as your not charging for it.

Mark Stark and JLSLLC like this.
  6. starry night

starry night LawnSite Platinum Member

Cam, If I were you, I wouldn't worry about a small amount of Roundup around a tree trunk. BUT, the advice you got was not correct. It doesn't matter if you charged for it but rather that you are in the landscaping business but not licensed.

7. starry night

starry night LawnSite Platinum Member

I should add: and on a property not your own. ( I am speaking of Ohio; don't know about other states.)

8. grass4gas

grass4gas LawnSite Senior Member

I would think that you need to be licensed to apply round up no matter what state you work in other than your own property. As Starry said, I would not worry “too” much about it, but think of it this way...even though you did not charge them for it, in reality you did.

You sprayed the round up so you would not have to cut/pull and remove the grass or weeds. This saved you in labor time, which translates in money in your pocket. Doesn’t matter if it was only a 1 cent. No different than guys spraying round up along fence lines. They may not be charging the customer directly, but I am pretty sure they are not discounting their price since now they have saved precious time in not having to trim along that fence line every time they cut.

If you are charging directly or indirectly for using any type of pesticide, you need to be licensed. Even using vinegar to kill grass or weeds on a customer’s property would require you to be licensed in most, if not all states I would think. Here in Delaware, you do need a license no matter what.

9. Crazy 4 grass

Crazy 4 grass LawnSite Platinum Member

Random question on licensing. If you own the property but it is not your residence can you apply chemicals? Rental houses, apartment buildings etc...

10. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Look at rules for your state here you can if the owner
    Also other license for just treating farms I think

Cam15 likes this.