1. Free Webinar: Why the Growth of Propane Deserves Your Attention
    Date: Thursday, April 25th
    Time: 11:00am EST
    Find out how switching to propane can save your company time and money. Click here to register
    Dismiss Notice

RM Remote Solution?

Discussion in 'Professional Discussions' started by ArTurf, Mar 12, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

I have a permanent one on my regular bigger systems. On smaller systems it just takes seconds to hook up with clips.

Petey says no can do

I guess I'll just try to make the connections Mo better from the 22 to the 18 ga extensions

2. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Make your own then, can’t be that difficult.

RhettMan likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

You challenged me, I guess I have no choice but to do it now

4. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Silver Member

They are not hard to make, just time consuming. When I had the controller repair business we made some harnesses just to see what was involved. The materials were fairly inexpensive but the labor to sit there and put them all together was the real killer.

Mike Leary and RhettMan like this.
  5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Might try it again (assume you bought the dispenser). I would have had to have miles of paperwork to list the color codes if it were not for the 3M system. Were you 'on the stuff' the day you tried it? :rolleyes:

DSCN2065buss bar.jpg

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    RhettMan likes this.
  6. SCsprinklerguy

SCsprinklerguy LawnSite Member

I replace clips regularly, this old RainBird remote bird Jr 24 station from the 90’s has been through it. It’s a TRC remote branded as RainBird. All original clips are long gone, I buy the clips shown in the picture & crimp, solder, & spray with plasti dip. The original 30” cable is only about 15” these many years later lol...

I get a box of 100 for around $15 I think on EBay. Doesn’t take long to repair & they work great. Have to do several coats of plasti dip but it lasts a season typically. I keep a few spares in the box because we all know one is bound to come off at some point on a long Friday.

When RadioShack was around they wanted $2 or more each clip... EBay is the way to go on those. Hope that helps!

B6E2538F-A6DA-4B15-AE9B-54FE6D73E377.jpeg

7. SCsprinklerguy

Not sure how well 18ga wire really works. I made a homemade remote for my son who helps me & I used 18ga multi conductor wire. It works but can be a pain, attached a D-ring to the cable to help hold it even.

It works but when the day comes to redo it I’m going to go with stranded wire instead of just grabbing some left over sprinkler wire from the truck.

It’s hooked to an old SRC in the photo for a spring inspection last year, controller was bad & we wanted to complete the inspection, otherwise we would have used the old SRC.

So yes, you can do it lol.

D575DDCC-73A8-4137-B219-2DA5460B8D7A.jpeg

8. Oxmow

Oxmow LawnSite Senior Member

Is that an original RainBird case or did you “brand” it?

9. SCsprinklerguy

No, the homemade remote is in a Ridgid brand Home Depot case & we put some stickers we had laying around on it to add a little showmanship.

10. magna111

magna111 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I wanna see more pics of that setup, looks nice!