RM Remote Solution?

Discussion in 'Professional Discussions' started by ArTurf, Mar 12, 2019.

1. SCsprinklerguy

SCsprinklerguy LawnSite Member

Thank you. Will have to post some tomorrow, supposed to be raining anyways. A cheap universal remote thats easily put together & works great!

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

"Cheap" I tried once, bit the bullet and never looked back! The remote on the right is for my Rain Masters that had the permanent connection (the 'radar dome' on top of the clock).

DSCN0755rm.jpg

DSCN0988.jpg

3. SCsprinklerguy

SCsprinklerguy LawnSite Member

751448DC-226C-490F-85D1-977B6F6BE9DA.jpeg 96E673F5-5015-44E4-BC40-BC00EC87B999.jpeg EC5B917F-755D-42EA-A459-4AC90A8E396C.jpeg Maybe I should have said cost effective instead of cheap. For the purpose in which it’s used it’s a very reliable tool at a much more affordable price than a pre-built one. It’s certainly not cheap in quality & works quite well for it's intended purpose.

Remotes are made to save time, having a factory remote for the controller your working on is absolutely the way to go. However we all run across those Orbit, K-rain, Weathermatic, & other rare controllers from time to time.

To control those you can certainly use a $1,000+ pre-made remote set-up, or you can use a homemade set-up & have coin left over to get a factory remote or two while using a factory remote to operate the homemade receiver. My market is heavily dominated with RainBird & Hunter controllers & we use factory remotes 90% of the time. I couldn’t imagine life without them at this point.

I think the picture is self explanatory, a controller in a simple Home Depot box https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-22-in-Pro-Organizer-Black-222571/205440492

Mount the smart port in the lid, add a drop cord for power, some wire & alligator clips for the number of zones your controller can support, & one remote. Your in business lol. I’m certain if you get a little creative you could make something much nicer than what I did. Works great for us.

mitchgo and Mike Leary like this.
  4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sure the (by others) remotes have improved, I sure hope so! I took on a new client that had the Hunter remote. It was so freaking slow, I told him I was costing him money using it. We swtiched over to a pigtail for the RM and away we went, AT HIGH SPEED! :clapping:

5. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Ill never forget my first remote
    [​IMG]

a samsung galaxy S7 with unlimited verizon internet is fairly difficult to "beat"

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    Mike Leary likes this.
  6. zr100

zr100 LawnSite Member
    from NH

Run Forest Run!

Ron Wolfarth, RhettMan and Mike Leary like this.