Road Base Driveway / Fabric Questions

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by SouthernTurfs, Oct 8, 2018.

1. SouthernTurfs

SouthernTurfs LawnSite Member

Hello all, Im new to the form an have a question. On Friday, I will be installing a driveway at my own home. Im using Road base as my material for hard compaction.
    My question is how bad will my bobcat T595 tear up the road fabric?

I will be -
    - Digging out & Grading the yard
    - Laying out Road Fabric
    - Spreading Road base material

Im aware not to turn on the Road fabric, But will going forward an backward cause the fabric to pull with the tracks. Ive done this numeros times with a MT55 and had now issues. Im curious if the bigger tracks will cause a problem?

Thanks.

2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Simply do not drive machinery over the bare fabric. Period.

3. Mr. Jon

Mr. Jon LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

DVS is correct. Install the base material on the fabric and drive on top of that. Install the base material as thick as you can based on the capability of your compaction equipment. Go straight in & out, do not turn even on the base material.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Why is road fabric put down? I don;t anyone doing that on big projects around us?

5. SouthernTurfs

SouthernTurfs LawnSite Member

DVS & Mr.John, I know I shouldn't run the bobcat over top the bare material. I was asking mainly due to the fact that. Local material supply companies won't cross onto a residential property with permission. The Driveway is roughly 145ft long an certain parts will be 20-35ft wide. So to get to the back of the property a machine is required. Not doing this with a wheelbarrow lol.

Ed2hess, Im using fabric on account that here in South Louisiana It rains almost everyday. There is solid base to an extent about 5'' down. Ive scrapped to a semi solid/soft base. Im just trying to avoid watching my investment disappear into the ground. If i can get down where it is constantly solid i won't use fabric. Thanks for the replies yall, Any advice is welcome. First Time doing a driveway

6. brichter14

brichter14 LawnSite Senior Member

Cut the driveway and lay out the fabric. Use 5 gallon buckets full of material to spread it on the fabric to hold it down in case of wind. Then fill your bucket up on your skid and spread it in front of you and drive on the material you just dropped.

Do not turn around or really turn at all just back straight out. 3-4 inches of road pack and a nice layer of 3/4 clean rock makes a nice driveway.