Road tax

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by lb59, May 15, 2006.

  1. lb59

    lb59 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 106

    Are you paying the on rod tax for gasoline you're using in your equipment?
  2. topsites

    topsites LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 21,653

    uhhhh, if I pump it at the station, yes.

    Only way to get out of it is use farm fuel (or offroad).
    Couldn't tell you where to get it, likely at a feed & seed / farmer's outlet thou in my case I have to drive so far into the country, it's not worth the savings.
  3. The Kiwi Lawn Ranger

    The Kiwi Lawn Ranger LawnSite Member
    Messages: 34

    Cant you claim the road Tax portion back in your end of year taxes?
    I know I can here in New Zealand but it is such a performance, but since it is 25 % of the cost of petrol I will make sure I claim it .
    The Lawn Ranger
    Taupo New Zealand
  4. topsites

    topsites LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 21,653

    Oh I am sorry, I am in the USA hence why I came off with that answer.

    No, here the Tax department gives us an allowance (or deduction) of around 31 cents / mile or thereabouts, and we can either take that or we can itemize deductions... But itemizing means keeping every receipt and it is a lot of work and as a rule, with anything except brand-new vehicles, the per mile deduction usually works to our advantage.
  5. FSully

    FSully LawnSite Member
    Messages: 81

    Look for form 4136 off
    Read Pub. 378 also.

Share This Page