1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Roalty free pictures on websites

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by NEUSWEDE, Dec 27, 2004.

1. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

What are your feelings on this? What I mean is how do you guys feel about putting picture bought from a site that anyone can get and putting them on your own website like photos of gardens and houses or using them in flyers. I have seen a few people on here who have got photos from istockphoto.com. I thought about doing it and decided not to just because I feel like people will think it is my work when in fact it isn't. Just curious
    Thanks
    Dylan

2. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

I would guess that there are going to be people on here who will disagree with me, but...

I recommend using purchased pictures in your brochures and web sites. I say this b/c most people are not capable of taking the high enough quality pictures to match what you can buy.

However, I would not recommend using purchased pictures to represent your own work as in the case of a "Look at our work" page or something like that. Doing such would be very misleading.

3. CVNL

CVNL LawnSite Member

Hire a professional photographer... Well worth the money.. If you have no work that looks good enough for a pic, maybe you better re-evaluate your business..

4. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

This is not always true. My business maintains over 100 residential and commercial accounts, and we have completed several hundred landscape and hardscape installs. I have pictures of alot of jobs we have completed, and I show these to potential customers, but for a brochure I would prefer to use a professional picture. Especially with it being winter here it would be impossible to have a professional photographer take pictures of my work.

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I have purchased pics off of istock.com for my flyer and have no regrets. Like CNYScapes said, it's winter here and I have no pics.....and it wouldn't matter anyway, I am not a professional photographer. Now, for a website....I think it would be ok also if you were putting them on there in a manner that was not leading the consumer to think they are pics of your work, especially landscapes. If you are going to order from iStock, I would suggest you do it now. At the beginning of 2005 the cost of credits are going to go up 50%. You can purchase your credits now and you will have 1 year to use them.

Does anyone else know of good sites to get lawn pics?

6. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

corbis.com is the same as the site that you guys are talking about.

7. walker-talker

from Midwest

Yes, but on iStock I spent $10 for about 6 pictures....instead $90 for one!

8. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

well, you guys wanted another site....did not say that money is of issue. :cool:

9. walker-talker

from Midwest

iStock was the first site I had bought pictures from. I couldn't believe the prices of some of those other sites. I think the first one I went to after iStock wanted something like $300 for a each picture.....WHOOOO!!!