Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Allow me to be the first one to say...

Sensors fail, some kid loses a foot and it will cease to exist as a product. The idea of leaving it running unattended (which is the whole point) is just bizarre.

I can't think of anything to compare it with except maybe the robotic carts that zip around factories (where there are strict safety rules about where you can walk, etc.).

The roomba, while gimmicky, apparently works. Of course, it won't cut off your foot either. :rolleyes:

Good luck to your friend. Its not that it won't work - its just that the liabilities and practical obstacles seem pretty hard to surmount.

It looks REALLY cool in theory - I guess the market will decide...

Its easier to pay someone $8 an hour.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
firstclasslawncareandplow said:
This is not joke, it is finally here! These are the first fully robotic lawnmowers that should be avalable to public in about 2 - 3 years. A friend of mine is on the design team and is running a couple prototypes right now. Check these things out they are sweet!!
www.selfguidedsystems.com
Another great idea. I think it ranks up there with the Ejection seat in the helicopters or the solar powered flash lights. First off it wont perform a complete service. You still need to trim and such and here thats the biggest thing people dont wanna do. What happens when the guidance system fails and it runs over Mrs. Smiths new flowers or mows down a kid or dog? too many things can go wrong with it. I dont feel its a threat to my business. I wouldnt mind having a radio controlled mower for some steep slopes tho with a fail safe in case it gets out of range.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I think that it is not a bad idea and would work great in some circumstances.

Did you read the part that you pay them $8.50 per hour to operate the thing? Kind of like paying per minute on your cell phone. And that is after all of the maintenance and the initial cost of 4K.

I am thinking that is a little steep.

·
Banned
21,630 Posts
Pro-Scapes said:
Another great idea. I think it ranks up there with the Ejection seat in the helicopters or the solar powered flash lights. First off it wont perform a complete service. You still need to trim and such and here thats the biggest thing people dont wanna do. What happens when the guidance system fails and it runs over Mrs. Smiths new flowers or mows down a kid or dog? too many things can go wrong with it. I dont feel its a threat to my business. I wouldnt mind having a radio controlled mower for some steep slopes tho with a fail safe in case it gets out of range.
I'm with you, let someone else test this. Although I dream about this frequently, I would never give a mower unmanned access to a yard, like you said: What if the pooch runs out in front of the mower, or what if a mole dug a nice hole in the yard a few days ago? Shee...No, not such a big hole that the mower gets stuck, that would be too easy, a hole just large enough to give the mower a new angle so without further ado the machine will likely be cutting all kinds of new patterns, lol.
That and more than a few of my yards have slopes so steep and areas so rough, ain't no automated system in the world can handle that. Really, the robomower would be dandy in a flat, square yard that's been landscaped to be smooth as a highway and still the risk of unmanned access is too much.

No, what I miss the most is the girls in the picture commercials, somehow they never showed up / I never got them from the dealer after I purchased my wb, something went way wrong there.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Did anyone watch the investor video?

Kinda cheesy.

The mower operates to slow to really save labor, you have to program it the first cut. I could see someone getting it started, and then doing the trimming while it does the cutting, but its just too slow.

Still pretty nifty.

·
Registered
169 Posts
They have been around 4 2-3 yrs,big ripoff,only good 4 postage stamp lawns,don't even think about cutting 4"+ and hell no stripe kit avail.? Oh yea only loyds of london will insure them.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Robotic mowers are already here. Friendly Robotics and Husquavarna make the two most popular. The Husky one is a good unit. A friend has the Friendly one. We make drinks and watch it mow. Lots of fun!

They are limited in what they can do at this time but someday someone willl make a gas powered one for us solo ops that mows the lawn while we trim the hedges. Talk about productivity.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Gee, where can I buy one! In my opinion, another great idea, that won't stand up in the real world, at least not among the clientele they seem to be soliciting, the commercial LCO's.

The $8.50 per hour is the first clue it is a "no go". I ain't too bright, but I believe I'd rather pay a person $12.00 an hour to ride a 60" mower capable of covering ground at up to 3 times the speed of these snails than to pay them their hourly fee.

Also, if I read correctly, since the thing is laser guided, I'm thinking the reflectors have to remain in place around the property? A GPS system similar to that used on some construction equipment would seem to make more sense.

I also wonder what happens when the mulching deck clogs and the "crew member" is off in Timbuktu and this thing is throwing out wads of cuttings the size of hubcaps all over Mrs. Persnickety's manicured back yard.

To me, something like this would only appeal, as designed, to a homeowner with deep pockets who has to have the latest gadgets to show off to his beer drinking (imported, of course) buddies. Neill

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
RKISTNER1 said:
They have been around 4 2-3 yrs,big ripoff,only good 4 postage stamp lawns,don't even think about cutting 4"+ and hell no stripe kit avail.? Oh yea only loyds of london will insure them.
Not only are they not practical for commercial LCOs, I believe the failure rate will be too high to justify their use. I mean how would they manuver around landscaping and other obstacles? Memory you say? And what if our clients decide to change the placement of obstacles or plant something new in the lawn. I mean if we have to watch it everytime what is the advantage. I really think the robotics are aimed for the homeowner who doesn't want to get their lazy buns off the couch or pay a professional to maintain their property. I'd rather the industry look to commercial electric or hybrid type engine to make fuel consumption less and quiter operation.

·
Registered
169 Posts
CAN'T wait 2 see what happens when they run into a Doggie DOO DOO Landmine! oh (Flip over do do do do do everywhere..Yuk

·
Registered
394 Posts
They work by a wire similar to a electric dog fence. They work quite well as long as the ground is quite flat, the areas to be done are not broken up into numerous areas and the area is not much larger than 20k sq ft. For flat properties of that size they do a fine job.

·
Registered
805 Posts
It stops when anything comes up to it within 3 feet. So you're down the end of the subdivision thinking you're almost done and realize that a dog has been barking in front of your robot for the past 2 hours.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Howard Roark said:
It stops when anything comes up to it within 3 feet. So you're down the end of the subdivision thinking you're almost done and realize that a dog has been barking in front of your robot for the past 2 hours.
Maybe they could have a built in cattle prod as an accessory, so if the animal doesn't move the prod comes out to incentivise the canine.

·
Registered
578 Posts
what....no pooper scooper option????

where is the auto telescoping articulating bidirectional synergistic string trimmer??

Imagine little Jennys doll that the sensor misses. Great entertainment at a pool party!

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I think it's stupid for professionals and what if it cuts bad? I think the "crew member" is the better way to go. I really hate this future technology stuff. What will this do for all these makers?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.