1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Rock installation labor question

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by eruuska, Apr 22, 2005.

1. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

What's a good estimate on the amount of time to install rock. Putting in a bid to "touch up" about 850 square feet of pond rock that's been neglected for several years. I'm thinking about 4 tons of fresh rock, which the rock guy says should cover 400 square feet, 2" deep.

Am I correct that this should easily freshen up about 850 square feet? What sort of time should I factor in whan putting the bid in?

2. eruuska

kick kick kick

3. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you will be pretty good with 4 tons of rock. The time will depend on multiple factors. Are you moving the rock by machine or wheelbarrow? How many guys on the job? How hard can you work? I can move a ton an hour by myself by wheelbarrow 50 feet, but I'm 38 years old and I don't like to kill myself.

4. eruuska

I did a search and read what others charge for rock, and I think my quote will reflect a price of $120 per ton installed. My cost is $38 per ton, plus a flat $45 for delivery. I'm 40 and don't like to kill myself either. I may be doing it myself, but if my schedule is tight I'll have a couple of helpers. There are some other things this customer wants done, so I think 3 guys could knock this one out in a few hours. Especially if 2 of them are 16 and don't mind killing themselves!