1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Rock wall question

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by TAF, Feb 23, 2005.

1. TAF

TAF LawnSite Member
    from Wa

I have a customer that would like to replace a rotten wood retaining wall. They would like 2 man rock. The wall is 4' high x 50' long. As I have built a few before I have some questions. 1.) How should I incorporate some drainage through the wall? I have seen some walls that had 2" drain pipe built into the wall to allow water to drain through it. It rains here (Seattle) and I am sure it would be best to do this. There is a drainrock filled trench in front of this wall for this water to go into and drain away. 2.) I will be backfilling with rip rap, should I also put in a barrier between this and the dirt behind the rip rap?

Thanks for any information....................again!

2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

I would treat this just like any other retaining wall although I don't think I would use rip rap. I would probably use something a little smaller and place a 4" drain tile directly behind the wall. Definately use a separation fabric. With the wall only being 50' long, I would just daylight it at each end. HTH.

Chris