1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Rockhound or Bust

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by glaucomyssabrinus, Jul 23, 2003.

1. glaucomyssabrinus

glaucomyssabrinus LawnSite Member

Hello,

I just bought a residence with about 3/4 acre that I need to convert to lawn (some of this area may be planted with veg like alfalfa/clover and left in a more natural state for wildlife). I live at the edge of where the last glacial event occurred in this region, so the soil is very gravelly glacial outwash--lots of rocks of various sizes--soil is about 30% rocks/cobble and the rest is a very dry powdery (at least in the summer) silty loam. I'm trying to find a way to remove some of the rocks as an alternative to bringing in topsoil (though I may still need to bring in some organic matter). I have the option of renting a rockhound, but can't find other equipment (harley, etc.) available locally for rent, as suggested by some threads on this website. I have two questions: (1) Does the fact that my soil is very powdery enhance the ability of the rockhound to remove just rock, instead of rock and soil; and (2) apart from the labor involved, would I end up with a better prepped soil if I run the rockhound, then till the ground shallowly with a cultivator, the re-run the rockhound? Just tossing around some ideas in my head. Thanks!