Roller Headaches

ioilyouin

LawnSite Senior Member
I've got a Bomag 120 AD-2, about a '94 with 1100ish hours on it. I noticed a leak on the inside rim of one of the drums last fall. After we finished the year I took it to local dealer to repair. Apparently one of the drive motors is leaking and the dealer was simply ordering parts to repair it, not even replace motor. Got a quote about 2 weeks ago for $7100 parts and labor, more than 5000 for the parts. :dizzy:

The roller probably isn't worth much more than that and there are a couple of electrical issues that aren't even being addressed at this time. I told the service rep. that he was going to have to look into other avenues to repair the machine because I couldn't justify spend that much on it. He jerked me around for the next two weeks, not returning phone calls, chasing mechanics down, looking for emails, etc. In the midst of all this the other option sold the parts I needed.

Do any of you have any connections, suggestions, etc.? I cannot find a junkyard that dismantles rollers. I did find a Bomag 121 in TN, but the parts don't cross. I really don't want to send the roller out to pasture, but it may end up going there anyway. It's a good unit for us and I really don't use one enough to go out and spend 15K+ that I really don't have right now. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Tom

ksss

LawnSite Fanatic
Well I dont know if I have an answer for you but let me tell you my roller pain. I had a Vibramax 3-4 ton dual drum roller I bought at auction years ago for 8K put 3-4 hundred hours on it for a total of 1300 hours and it got so unrealiable I traded it on a new CASE DV202 in 07. Awesome roller they gave me 10K for my Vibramax. Well things get slow and I sell the roller. I start renting a roller from about April to Oct. since 09. I kinda liked this I paid 500 a month and gave it back when I didn't need it. This might be an option for you. Problem is they have been selling the rollers I have been renting. The DV202 I have currently been renting may to CA. So I may have to find a roller for this Spring. CAT will sell me an 224E with about 1200 hours for around 16k. Its hard to spend money on something that you put few hours on, but dam you cant run without one. I am going to see if CAT will let me put the 224 on a rent to buy arrangement.

Krafty

LawnSite Senior Member
Im sure you thought of this but did you check thoese two equipment bone yards down south on Rte. 3 I believe there is one just north of Ruma, and another one just outside of ellis grove.

OP
ioilyouin

ioilyouin

LawnSite Senior Member
I checked with the guys at Wolf Lake, not sure if we're talking about the same outfits.

Krafty

LawnSite Senior Member
I don't know the name either one, I am heading to Chester later this week I will stop and get the names of both places. The one is just a hair north of ruma, on the right side. It is a smaller place with parts stacked as high as there loader will dump them. The other place is just north of Ellis grove on the left, this one has a few acres of old machines stacked on top of each other.
Posted via Mobile Device

Krafty

LawnSite Senior Member
Ventured south today. The place just north of Ruma has a sign out front that says Construction Parts and the phone number is 618-282-2585. The other place has no sign but is a directly in between Evansville and Ellis Grove on the east side of the highway. I tried to snap a few pics a 70mph but didnt come out to well but the second place has acres and acres of old machines that they sell parts off of and scrap out.

IMAG0550.jpg

IMAG0549.jpg

IMAG0548.jpg

IMAG0547.jpg

IMAG0546.jpg

OP
ioilyouin

ioilyouin

LawnSite Senior Member
Thanks for the info, I didn't know either of those places existed. I may explore them as an option. At any rate I went down to the dealership and picked up my roller and various pieces. I wasn't wasting any more time or money with them. We found a tag on the motor for Poclain Hydraulics. After a little research, my 93 year old grandpa found a place up North that may be able to help us. Just have to ship the motor up there and see what happens.

OP
ioilyouin

ioilyouin

LawnSite Senior Member
Got a bill from dealer for $920 to tear down and "look" for alternate sources for parts. Funny thing was there was like $30 in parts. How do you install parts on a tear down?