1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Rolling back ZTR hours - how easy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by marcusmac99, May 19, 2017.

1. marcusmac99

marcusmac99 LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking at a few mowers to add to our team. I see some saying they have less than 300 hrs, but the mower itself looks like its been used quite a bit. How difficult is it to roll back the hour gauge in order to defraud someone?

Besides asking for the maintenance records, which should note the hours when serviced, any way to tell if the hours meter has been rolled back?

Thanks.

2. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Silver Member

Can't roll them back, can replace them, or unplug them tho

3. Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC

Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member

yea they probably replaced the meter or unplugged it for a period of time. Most of the meters are electronic so they don't have a cable to get hooked to a drill to "reverse" the reading;)

or they went over 9999 hour and rolled around to 10300 but the "1" isn't displayed due to the digital text limitations on the meter's output.

Or the 300 hours it went through hell and back again:confused:

hort101 likes this.
  4. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Senior Member

hour meters can be easily replaced so it's hard to say for certain at any point. I would focus on the machine, the price tag, and how everything looks and runs and operates.

RDALawns, StanWilhite and hort101 like this.
  5. Brules

Brules LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Oklahoma

Put it on a jack stand and run it in reverse? :)

6. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

with 300hrs the mower should still look almost perfect. if it doesn't it was abused and don't buy it.

7. zraffz

zraffz LawnSite Member

I base my purchases more so off the condition of the machine. The hour meter is a nice reference but I've seen some nasty low hour machines and some very nice high hour machines.

RDALawns likes this.