Rose business

No gloves

LawnSite Senior Member
Was reading an old thread on knockout roses and a conversation came up about a guy in Florida who prunes,fertilizes and treats roses for disease full time.believe they said it was a multi-million dollar business?is this for real? anyone ever seen a company exclusive to roses only and very profitable?I don't understand all the fuss with roses since it seems so easy and have close to thirty in my yard.thank you

Chilehead

LawnSite Silver Member
The truth about knock out roses (as well as double knock out, drift, homerun, and a few others) is that they were bred to be highly disease and insect resistant, while providing prolific blooms till the first frost. They need very little care outside of adequate water, and a light trim here and there. There is no "multi-million dollar rose care industry". Caring for roses is grouped in with grounds care.

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
My wife and I took care of roses for a lady $350 a month. Took a lot of work and we had a lot of fun doing it.

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
The truth about knock out roses (as well as double knock out, drift, homerun, and a few others) is that they were bred to be highly disease and insect resistant, while providing prolific blooms till the first frost. They need very little care outside of adequate water, and a light trim here and there. There is no "multi-million dollar rose care industry". Caring for roses is grouped in with grounds care.
In our area they are beset with "Rose Rosette" which I believe is caused by aphids. Drift roses are beginning to show signs of the same disease.

The protocol for treatment is to remove and replace with something else.

At present, at least here, there is no known curative treatment. some do extent the lives of their roses by pruning the affected canes and removing them.

OP
N

No gloves

LawnSite Senior Member
My wife and I took care of roses for a lady $350 a month. Took a lot of work and we had a lot of fun doing it.
wow,that's a lot,but I don't know how many you took care of.i can usually go through all my roses in about 1/2 hour,except my 3 icebergs.you get used to your roses and understand how they grow and know how each area in garden reacts different.i have 30$ rose gloves but never use them.i get a weird satisfaction when I get cut or scratched,helps you appreciate them more.roses are fun and intimate in a way,not like a bush that doesn't flower.

get-n-by

LawnSite Member
There is a company in my area that does Ornamental and rose care.(Florida) Ferguson is the company name. From the outside it looks to be a low overhead business. The owner is female and she has 3 female employees. 2 small trucks with tank sprayers in the bed and a couple backpack sprayers. I normally see 2 people to truck. She has been in business for a very long time. So I assume there is money to be made. She keeps everything clean and they wear uniforms also.So I assume it is a select group of people that can afford such work. So she stays representable and clean.

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
I guess it was about 25, (while back) included all chems and fert. What cost is the time. Takes a while to remove black spot leaves, prune and just general maintenance of them.