Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When should I prune roses? I now the "best" time is after the first frost, but I have a customer that needs them done NOW!! Will it kill the roses, or not let them bloom? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Roses will bloom well into winter, if the weather is favorable. Up here in Mich., we deadhead the floribundas, grandifloras, and hybrid teas until the middle of Sept. After that, NO pruning. It is preferred to let them set seed (hips) rather than to force them to keep growing by pruning. This is done to allow the plants to harden for the winter. After the ground just starts to freeze, the crowns should be buried in mulch, compost, soil, etc. At this time, a few long canes can be pruned back to keep from whipping in the winter winds. After the frost is out of the ground, remove soil,mulch, compost, etc., and prune back hard. If you live where the weather is more favorable in the winter, someone else will have to chime in.

·
Banned
787 Posts
great link - gopher. Thanks!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.