1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

ROUGH LAWN'S !!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, Jul 16, 2000.

1. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

I don't care if you can go 10mph with a mower and have good cut cause I would like to see a customer look out there window and see me going 10mph on there lawn I think they would have a heart attack and I would be out of a lawn. Besides it is not safe you have to look for sprinklers, rocks, and sticks. I do like the walker it is quite the rave here in Florida seems like everyone has one. I almost bought one but I bought a Z-Master but when I look into a new mower I will probably buy one because I can run a lot of different size decks on the same mower that would keep a lot of expenses down. Sorry to get of the subject.

2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

My costomers are quite imepressed by the speed of my z master.

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

The lawn at my home is about 7acres,1/2 is smooth and 1/2 is a little rough.but not rea; bad.On the smooth part I mow at 10 mph with my dixie chopper,the only time I slow down is if the motor pulls down below 3550,which isnt much with 25 hp.It takes me 50 minutes to mow the smooth part to the left of my driveway(3 1/2 acres and almost 2 hours to cut the remainder of it.My neighbors are so impressed with the speed and cut that they will be my next customers soon. <p>----------<br>John D<br>

4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I would like to see some one mow 3 1/2 acres in 50 min..

5. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Even the slower Exmarks & Bobcats advertise 3.5 acres an hour; Dixies will mow flat ground even faster.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>

6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Gene: The next time your in the Chicago area during the summer, look me up. I'll do it for you. We mow the lawns on my site fast and I've been told they look OK. It does depend on how smooth a lawn is and how well you know the lawn your mowing. If your mowing a lawn with rocks projecting out of the ground and big holes in it, you need to go slower, but the lawns we mow don't have these problems. You need sharp blades daily to mow at higher speeds too.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://elmlawnsite.com/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Gene,If you come to NY I will prove it too,my smooth side is 1000ft long by 156 ft wide,I measured it with a wheel and have my survey to back the wheel up.there are 4 trees and a shed to go around as well as 4 mulch /flower beds.It is 3.5 acres and I can do it in 50 minutes easily unless I let it get 10 inches high.It is 35 passes with my 60&quot; machine,and if you dont believe it can do that then you need to try one to be convinced.<p>----------<br>John D<br>