1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Round Five and Almost Nothing Needs Sprayed!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Hineline, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Hineline

Hineline LawnSite Senior Member

Who else is enjoying this? After one of the best growing seasons I can remember and pounding weeds for months we are rolling through round five very quickly and all is clean except a few areas of bittercress and henbit on bed edges. I even have time to sell a few more aerifications and limings!

2. walkinonwater27

walkinonwater27 LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

This time of year reminds me why I am in the business. Very little handcan work and zipping through properties on a ride on with minimal weed spraying. The lawns all look great and stayed green all year, fungus is out of season finally. Feels great to be working outside in Cooler temps and I’m getting home at 3-4 instead of 5-6 and starting an hour later. I did lose a round this year but have worked everyday it isn’t raining.

3. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

In the south we apply in the fall to prevent winter annuals that will show themselves late winter and spring.

Do northern areas not do this?

hort101 likes this.
  4. Hineline

I do a bit for POA triv.

5. Delmarva Keith

Delmarva Keith LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, a Fall pre is good to zap any germinating poa annua and any other winter annuals. Where I am in transition zone Fall pre is few and far between due to overseeding to repair the heat and fungus damage most lawns will have. It’s a bit of a judgment call whether the amount of anticipated annua is going to be worse than whatever the Summer did.

This past Spring & Summer was bad for annua and bad for crabgrass breakthrough but pretty good for other weeds. This Fall is shaping up pretty bad for bentgrass invasions — been a little too wet all at once.

6. walkinonwater27

walkinonwater27 LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

I try to time everyone’s last treatment after the transition from Fall to late fall. A few cold nights and the chickweed and bittercress pop, I still see some in the spring but not nearly as much as when I used to be in a rush to just get everyone done. People with 4 apps always had a lot of winter annuals in the spring. There’s to many seedings here to run a full fall app of pre unfortunately.

7. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

So what do you northern guys use for a pre for poa & winter broadleaf annuals? The one's I use would harm cool season turf.

Just wondering

8. Delmarva Keith

Delmarva Keith LawnSite Senior Member

I use Dimension. Costs a little more than prodiamine but I’ve been using it and I like it so that’s what I use.

Syngenta’s website has a germination map that’s helpful for timing. http://www.greencastonline.com/tools/pestoutlooks.aspx

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Fall is when we get our best weed control for spring.

phasthound likes this.
  10. Hineline

My biggest concern for fall on round four is that all the broadleaves are dead especially dandy's. There will be a point in time on round one the following year they will start blooming and I don't want any calls about them before I get there on the schedule. The winter annuals start popping on round four and we'll zap those as we go. Round five is our last chance to make round one the following year go well.
    In the past few years, because of severe drought, our broadleaf spray has been somewhat marginal on round four and we found dandy's on round five and had to spray when it was cold. Always a concern that they will make it and bloom in the spring. Right now I'm spreading at 20 ft passes with my gun in my hand and firing anything I can see in that range. Very little in the main part of the lawns and once again, just a few winter annuals on bed edges. I just want to get through round one without anyone calling me to rush out and spray the dandy's. Round one is always chaos!

hort101 likes this.