Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do any of you all use the same spray tank as for round up, fertilzer and weed control. or do you buy another tank to do this.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
How big of tank we talking. If your talking back pack sprayers then yes one for each. If your talking a large skid tank then no I try not to use it for roundup unless I have a huge job to do.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Never use roundup in a large tank.

Years ago had a friend that had to spray a large area of roundup as a subcontract for someone he knew.

Washed it out a couple times, then a week later sprayed Hemlocks. Killed the entire line.........................

Actualy we have seperate pump sprayers for lawn weed killer, roundup, and nutsedge, insecticide.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a 200 gallon Lesco spray unit. I use it for both but I make darn sure it is thoroughly cleaned after round-up. I have some very large areas that I total kill. After they are done I run the tank dry, add 25 gallons of water and run it dry again to get out the concentrated product in the bottom. Then I fill it up completely with water, circulate for 15minutes operating the psi regulator and all other valves, pump it dry, then add Lesco tank cleaner and follow all label directions. Use an area that has already been treated with round-up to spray your rinsing water providing it is large enough that with all of this volume you won't have a run-off problem. Make sure to clean the hoses as well as the tank and after using the Lesco stuff I even rinse it again with 50 gallons of water to get out all of the detergent.

This might be overkill but I recall a story of a company who did some tree/shrub insect control after using their tank for lawn apps. The residual broad leaf herbicide damaged/killed 6 digits in trees and shrubs. Insurance paid for the damage but they wound up going out of business due to this. :(

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
This was brought up a short time ago. Do a search on the subject. But in short, no, I do not use R-up in my sprayer. I use my sprayer as a water source and hook a hose-end sprayer to it and add the R-up concentrate to the hose end sprayer.

·
Banned
17,385 Posts
Originally posted by Grassmechanic
This was brought up a short time ago. Do a search on the subject. But in short, no, I do not use R-up in my sprayer. I use my sprayer as a water source and hook a hose-end sprayer to it and add the R-up concentrate to the hose end sprayer.
How do you calibrate the rate? I thought of doing that but got scared of not knowing the rate it would put out. what type of hose end sprayer do you use?

·
Registered
642 Posts
I have used the same large 300 gal tanks for round up as herbicide but then again the time to do the clean out sometimes doesn't justify using it unless it a large job. when I use it, it gets Nutrisol twice after and pumped thru the system for at least a half hour each time. In most situations I'll use a seperate backpack for round up on most jobs.

·
Registered
540 Posts
that hose end sprayer is a great tip. Thats the reason I come here. Simple and and a no brainer but I would have never thought of it without your input. I used it on 11/K a couple of weeks ago. Saved tons in clean up rinse and neutralizer. No mater how long or how much ya know, somebody(like you) always knows how to do it better. Thanks again

·
Registered
12,060 Posts
I am going to go aganist the grain here and say it is ok to spray all three. The only rules is don't spray ornamental with the same sprayer. I am not going to get into a this won't hurt that thing. My bottom line is if you empy the tank, the next mix will be so low a constrate it will not hurt turf. I use seperate tanks because I am spraying them every day. Up north you don't have to spray as much as we do. I think you can get away with one turf tank, sure keep it clean but don't sweat it. 2-4-D is the worst for tank residual.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Originally posted by philk17088
How do you calibrate the rate? I thought of doing that but got scared of not knowing the rate it would put out. what type of hose end sprayer do you use?
Phil - I use an Ortho Dial-A-Spray. It has graduated settings on it. Pour Round-up in the jar, dial to your setting (amt. of chem/gallon) and spray away.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Originally posted by Russ
that hose end sprayer is a great tip. Thats the reason I come here. Simple and and a no brainer but I would have never thought of it without your input. I used it on 11/K a couple of weeks ago. Saved tons in clean up rinse and neutralizer. No mater how long or how much ya know, somebody(like you) always knows how to do it better. Thanks again
Russ - glad to help. It actually dawned on me one day as I was going through the hassles of rinsing and cleaning my tank at the golf course I was working at back in the 80's. I've been doing it ever since.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Originally posted by philk17088
Another question. What pressure?
On my sprayer, it's around 100 psi at the gauge. I had to mess around a bit with the pressure to get a nice, even spray. The pressure isn't really important, other than to get an even spray, because the venturii in the hose-end sprayer meters the chemical out in xx/ounces per gallon. Experiment with water only in your driveway to get it the way you want.

·
Registered
127 Posts
How do you plumb the "hose end sprayer" to lets say a lesco hose w/chemlawn gun? Do you remove gun entirely? Fasten to end of lesco gun?

I actually have a 12,000 sq. ft. stone parking lot that I will spray Sahara soil sterilant, w/tracker............ can I spray through the hose end sprayer? How do you use with dry product?

I know, a lot of questions........... any help would be appreciated!

ChicagoLawn

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Chicago - remove your chemlawn gun and screw the hose-end sprayer in it's place. You can only use liquid concentrates, not dry products.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Mike,

My ChemLawn gun is on a "quick connect" set up............ however is the standard lawn care hose end thread the same needed to thread in hose end sprayer?

Also, any thoughts on how to formulate a solution(with a dry product - Sahara) for use in this hose end sprayer?

Thank you,

ChicagoLawn

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Chicago - Yes, the standard lawn care hose end thread will thread directly into the hose-end sprayer. I can't answer your question about making a solution with Sahara, as I've never done that before.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Originally posted by Ric
I am going to go aganist the grain here and say it is ok to spray all three. The only rules is don't spray ornamental with the same sprayer. I am not going to get into a this won't hurt that thing. My bottom line is if you empy the tank, the next mix will be so low a constrate it will not hurt turf. I use seperate tanks because I am spraying them every day. Up north you don't have to spray as much as we do. I think you can get away with one turf tank, sure keep it clean but don't sweat it. 2-4-D is the worst for tank residual.
You are correct and after about 3 full tanks you can spray ornamentals with no worries.

It's called triple rinsing.

After I get done using r-up in my tank I flush out what's left then fill it full, circulate, and drain it and it's good enough for lawns.

Grassmechanic
Can you post a link to that hose end sprayer?

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.