Round up License in florida????

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by zzach001, Aug 30, 2011.

  1. zzach001

    zzach001 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 42

    Hey guys,
    I was wondering if someone could lead me in the right direction. I understand in order to apply round up you must be licensed. I will not be using it in flowerbeds, but rather to kill lawns before we re-sod.

    Where could I sign up for the test and also what other types of things do I need to be licensed for in florida for sod/ landscaping. No mowing or maintence.
  2. Ric

    Ric LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 11,969


    The Sarasota County Extension has scheduled a Limited Commercial Landscape Maintenance license seminar and exam on Tuesday, September 13 at the Sarasota County Extension Office, 6700 Clark Road, Twin Lakes Park, Sarasota, 34241.

    If you cut lawns and/or maintain ornamentals at private homes and businesses and wish to apply pesticides on the job, including Round-Up, then this six-hour training class is a requirement before obtaining the Limited Commercial Landscape Maintenance License (often called the Round-Up License). With this license you will be able to apply herbicides, fungicides, and insecticides that state “Caution” on the label, on all but lawns and turfs.

    Attached are: (1) the agenda (which also indicates the CEUs that can be earned) and (2) the 8 page Limited Commercial Landscape Maintenance License Training & Exam Packet.

    Please remember, for applicants who will be taking the exam, it is important that you bring the following completed items to the class:

    (1) The License Application (DACS-13604), passport I.D. size photo MUST BE ATTACHED. (page 7 of exam packet)

    (2) Certificate of Insurance (DACS 13654) – FDACS Certificate of Insurance. Must be signed by your Insurance Agent. (page 8 of exam packet)

    (3) $150.00 check made payable to Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.

    Please DO NOT send materials to FDACS. We will mail the application packet, along with your $150 check, exam, and attendance sheet directly to FDACS for grading and license issuance.

    Registration is required. The cost of the seminar is $25.00 and includes continental breakfast. Lunch is on your own.

    Register now at the following link:

    If you have any questions or need further information, please call Bob Mertens at 941.861.9805.

    Bob Mertens

    Administrative Specialist, Horticulture

    University of Florida/IFAS Sarasota County Extension

    6700 Clark Road, Sarasota, FL 34241

    941.861.9805 (office)

    941.861.9886 (fax)

  3. vencops

    vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC
    Messages: 1,537


    If he wouldn't be allowed to apply on lawns.....why take the course?
  4. Ric

    Ric LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 11,969


    You have to ask??

    Ornamental Fert & Squirt is the gravy and most profitable part of my L&O Operation. 99.99% of those with a Roundup license are missing the boat on the money that can be made with that license. But then I am not about to train them so they can steal my business.
  5. vencops

    vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC
    Messages: 1,537

    I don't have to ask. But, I did.

    Are you gonna answer?

    He told you why he wanted the license. If he can't apply to lawns.....what good would it do him to take the course?
  6. zzach001

    zzach001 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 42

    I really do appreciate the info. , but 99% of the time. We will only be applying to lawns to kill them off for re sodding.

    How can I can licensed for this and why does that class not allow me to kill Lawns.

    I appreciate if someone can send me in the right direction !
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. fl-landscapes

    fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,542

    You need the full l&o certification to spray any chemicals on any turf in Florida. To get it you need to work under another companies lis. For three years to qualify to sit for the test. Unless you are certified in another state or have a four year hort degree, then you only have to work for someone else for one year.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. Ric

    Ric LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 11,969


    My Bad, I didn't read his whole post. As fl-landscape posted it takes the Commercial L & O license to treat any Turf area. Fact is I send an E mail to my state inspector asking about that very thing over this last week end. I even stated the question about Killing turf to make a Plant Bed instead of resod. I also ask about Mow-able Ground Covers like Perennial Peanuts for over the top selective weed control. Once again it was Legally a No Go.

    Here is his reply
    BTW I am hooked up with a sod company and do their Lawn Kills. It takes two treatment to do a good job and I add both a sedge herbicide as well as a Vine herbicide to my Round up mix. My first application is done at a rate of 2 gallons a thousand and I am sure to go slow and get everything. A week to 10 days later I do a touch up because this is one Application that will tell on you. I charge $ 40.00 a thousand for the two application with a $ 100.00 Minimum

Share This Page