Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Moretta Lawn Care, Aug 2, 2006.

  1. Moretta Lawn Care

    Moretta Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    Messages: 47

    It has always been my understanding that you don't need licensing to spray herbicides that you can get over the counter (at Home Depot, etc.) Am I right? When I was reading in another thread someone was asking if they should spray weeds in the cracks of drives and someone else told them to make sure that they were licensed. Am I correct on this or not? THANKS!
  2. mrkosar

    mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio
    Messages: 680

    if you want to spray any pesticide (round up, weed-b-gone, etc.) on another person's lawn you need a license.

    TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,138

    If you are a commercial cutter it's breaking the law,the only way is to do it for free.
  4. ArizPestWeed

    ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,457

    Not in Arizona , they recently changed the law , no licenes needed .
    It's gone back and forth 3 time in 15 years .

    Sooooo , more to Arizona
  5. upidstay

    upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT
    Messages: 1,568

    Check with your local authorities. All states are different. Here in CT we have a number of different licenses depending on the type of work. Turf and shrub, arborist, structural, golf course, etc. Around here, a lawn mower can get fined for spraying a hornets nest on a customer's property. Even if you don't charge for killing the nest, you are on the property for pay.
  6. Premo Services

    Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,516

    Here is the link to find out about being licensed in all states. Click the state you are in and it will tell you the regulations. I believe you need to be licensed and insured to apply pesticides. Yes roundup is a pesticide. The weeds are the pest.....
  7. Runner

    Runner LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,497

    Careful. Doing it for free is not the answer. It is written in most states that if you perform the service for hire OR as an element of your services...(Not the exact wording, but it is written as that)...
  8. Gbug

    Gbug LawnSite Member
    Messages: 57

    Cant you claim you are doing it as a hobby to help out a friend? Thought I heard that somewhere....
  9. befnme

    befnme LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,413

    if you have ever been compensated for a lawn mowing in any fashion and apply chemical to that lawn then you are maintaining the lawn for profit and need a license . if you have never touched a lawn before but are asked to spray it and you are doing it for free of charge then you are still being compensated by experience . as far as the dept. of ag. is concerned you will be charged for applying w/out a license .

Share This Page