Roundup substitute

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by BigJlittleC, Feb 5, 2019.

1. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

You have to check with State regulations.
    Here in NJ, EPA Exempt 25b products https://www.epa.gov/minimum-risk-pesticides are defined as pesticides but are do not require a Pesticide License to apply professionally. In addition, these products should be used first before applying Registered pesticides on School Properties per the NJ School IPM Law.

rlitman, sjessen and hort101 like this.
  2. Doc8406

Doc8406 LawnSite Fanatic

you know.. in some ways.. our state sucks!

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Oddly, I think have heard somewhere that the definition of a pesticide is any chemical or device used to kill, control, or mitigate a pest organism.
    So pesticides include a "device"?
    This would include mosquito traps, fly traps, bug zappers--I suppose. Does this mean mole traps are included? Mouse traps?
    What about bird-scarring noise makers? Orchard cannons?

kemco and Doc8406 like this.
  4. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

I can affirm that here you've got to be licensed for mole traps, mouse and rat traps, vole bait stations and voletraps... Again if holding oneself out to be in the business of doing that.

Doc8406 likes this.
  5. RigglePLC

I did a small test yesterday. Sprayed some ammonia full-strength. These pictures were taken at 24 hours after treatment.

What about "Lime Away", or toilet bowl cleaner. I will let you know in a couple days.

SA400002.JPG

SA400011.JPG

6. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Fanatic

Ammonia may burn weeds off temporarily, but it breaks down into nitrates and nitrites which id basically fertilizer. So you may just end up feeding future weeds?

Ammonia is a compound of nitrogenand hydrogen with the formula NH3. The simplest pnictogen hydride, ammonia is a colourless gas with a characteristic pungent smell. It is a common nitrogenous waste, particularly among aquatic organisms, and it contributes significantly to the nutritional needs of terrestrial organisms by serving as a precursor to food and fertilizers.

rlitman likes this.
  7. RigglePLC

Ammonia seems to be killing weeds--I applied it with a squirt bottle full-strength.
    The round disk is a nickel, used for scale. Killing dandelion and veronica. I am not seeing much effect on the poa annua. Not much effect on the moss.

SA400004.JPG

SA400006.JPG

8. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Silver Member

To clarify, the ammonia cleaning solution you buy in stores is a solution of ammonium hydroxide in water (NH3OH). That solution's distinctive odor is ammonia (NH3).

It is rather alkaline, and I suspect that property may cause it to burn leaves, but while liquid gasoline may be cold and wet enough to put out a match, I still wouldn't suggest it.

9. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Fanatic

Yes

10. RigglePLC

I tested windshield washer fluid for a car.
    Did not kill the weed.

I think I noticed anti-freeze for a radiator killed grass. Anyone tried that?
    Probably a lot more dangerous than glyphosate.

Doc8406 likes this.