Route density and market saturation.

NEFlyer

LawnSite Member
Hello all, I'm new here and potentially looking to start a lawn care business.

I have many questions, but I will stick with two for now..

I know route density is very important, but at what point is it not feasible as a business if your route density is too low? I'm in a fairly rural area where many people now their own lawns. And I would likely be looking at a 20 mile radius just to get a few lawns..

Second question is about market saturation. I see quite a few other lawn care guys in the area and it just seems like there is no way there are enough lawns for everyone.

At what point would you say it's unrealistic to make a profit in an area?

Appreciate any answers to this, like I said, I'm completely new to this and just doing my research. If I did start something up it would be part time in addition to my 9-5 for awhile.

Jeff@diyokc

LawnSite Senior Member
Get licensed to spray/fertilize (legally) and perhaps research hard scape or irrigation. Mowing is a foot in the door, but honestly easy to get into and prices are all over. The guys doing lawns for $20 are replaced with other $20 guys, making your customers base think this is the “norm”. It’s not.

marker saturation is a fact in this industry. Be dependable and reliable, and be a problem solver for your customers

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
I'm in a similar situation. I moved out of the city, and am 15 miles to the edge of the town. So this year I've been consolidating my route once I get into town or the neighboring city the town itself has 2.2 mile radius, so not big. But I have half my accounts within 2-4 miles once I get to the area.

OP
N

NEFlyer

LawnSite Member
Thanks for the replies.

I think the biggest issue where I am is the lack of high density residential areas. Everything is so spread out that getting more than a few yards within 5ish miles of each other might be an issue.

I will keep doing research, my plan would be to start up next spring, so I've got time.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
Thanks for the replies.

I think the biggest issue where I am is the lack of high density residential areas. Everything is so spread out that getting more than a few yards within 5ish miles of each other might be an issue.

I will keep doing research, my plan would be to start up next spring, so I've got time.
Maybe mowing grass isn't the best option for you. Who knows?

phasthound

LawnSite Fanatic
Thanks for the replies.

Where in New England are you?

Mac-s Lawn & Snow

LawnSite Bronze Member
Route Density: since your part time and your thinking about it now tighten that route up if you can and make sure you are recognizable out there. For a rural market, 20 miles is not bad and make sure your customers know that after you cut ,the next day you will be 40 miles the other way and theres no coming back until your on your route next week.
Market Saturation: Sounds like my situation is similar to yours as my rural market is saturated with LCO's. There is more than enough work for us all, we all get along and look out for each other. Hope it works out for you.

OP
N

NEFlyer

LawnSite Member
Where in New England are you?

NH

Route Density: since your part time and your thinking about it now tighten that route up if you can and make sure you are recognizable out there. For a rural market, 20 miles is not bad and make sure your customers know that after you cut ,the next day you will be 40 miles the other way and theres no coming back until your on your route next week.
Market Saturation: Sounds like my situation is similar to yours as my rural market is saturated with LCO's. There is more than enough work for us all, we all get along and look out for each other. Hope it works out for you.

Yes, that's a good point. And with me only being part time solo, I don't think I would take on more than 5-10 yards in the first season anyway. Maybe even less.

Top Forums