Row of clumped cut grass

Jmarcus

LawnSite Member
Run a 2020 Scag VR ll with 250hrs. About 50hrs ago I started leaving a row of clumped cut grass about where the middle and chute-side blade pass each other. Addressed all the obvious possible reasons (tire pressure, deck pitch/cleanliness, belt, etc.) and everything is good. Don’t run mulching blades or a kit. Does it a lot worse (and more often) when I run Scag OEM blades. (frustrating because they were my best blades) …assuming because they are heavierLighter the blade, less it happens.

Been in the shop twice in 5 weeks. They are stumped. Please help.

K c m

LawnSite Silver Member
Run a 2020 Scag VR ll with 250hrs. About 50hrs ago I started leaving a row of clumped cut grass about where the middle and chute-side blade pass each other. Addressed all the obvious possible reasons (tire pressure, deck pitch/cleanliness, belt, etc.) and everything is good. Don’t run mulching blades or a kit. Does it a lot worse (and more often) when I run Scag OEM blades. (frustrating because they were my best blades) …assuming because they are heavierLighter the blade, less it happens.

Been in the shop twice in 5 weeks. They are stumped. Please help.
4 reasons.
1. Running too fast through thick grass belt not tensioned correctly.
2. Too many sharpenings on blades
3. Knock off blades that aren’t to spect.
4. Lastly and i ran into this with my deere 652MOD. The baffles in front were bolted on so the suction wasn’t quite there at 3 and three quarters and up. Not sure if scag has a mulch in demand system. Changed to the non mod and no issues what so ever. (Kawi 730v, 52”, g5/6 gators)

OP
J

Jmarcus

LawnSite Member
4 reasons.
1. Running too fast through thick grass belt not tensioned correctly.
2. Too many sharpenings on blades
3. Knock off blades that aren’t to spect.
4. Lastly and i ran into this with my deere 652MOD. The baffles in front were bolted on so the suction wasn’t quite there at 3 and three quarters and up. Not sure if scag has a mulch in demand system. Changed to the non mod and no issues what so ever. (Kawi 730v, 52”, g5/6 gators)
Right on. Good info. Thanks.
What determines when you retire a set of blades?
And what's 'non mod'? I feel like my suction is pretty low, or at least weaker than it used to be. Even with SCAG high lift blades and the baffles all the way down I think my suction is still a bit weak. But I don't run high lift 100% of the time.

K c m

LawnSite Silver Member
Right on. Good info. Thanks.
What determines when you retire a set of blades?
And what's 'non mod'? I feel like my suction is pretty low, or at least weaker than it used to be. Even with SCAG high lift blades and the baffles all the way down I think my suction is still a bit weak. But I don't run high lift 100% of the time.
That’s a great question. I have a few sets of blades that are almost 20 years old for my belt drives. They have been ground a lot. But since the transmission is so slow the space between the blades doesn’t even mattter. But as the speed increases it does.
a John Deere MOD deck is a mulch on demand deck with a mechanical chute closer. The mechanism is bolted on and there’s a small gap between top of deck and where baffle 90’s into cut circle. It causes low lift.
I use Oregon g6-g5 blades abd the 1” wing abd teeth act like a vacuum and suck grass up to be cut. I’ve never used low lifts or anything other then high abd gator blades.

Top Forums