1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

RPZ's Watts vs. Wilkins

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Green Sweep, May 5, 2006.

1. Green Sweep

Green Sweep LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Pittsburgh, PA

We have always installed Watts RPZ backflow preventers - usually 3/4" for residentials. While talking to my supplier, I learned that a Wilkins RPZ of the same size is substantially cheaper - $40 cheaper to be exact. I just wanted to get some input on why that is. I've had very few problems with the Watts that we put in & would be willing to try Wilkins provided that they are not prone to problems.

Thanks,
    Rob

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Wilkins seems to make decent stuff. They have a durable PVB (brass bonnet) and the RPZ seems to be okay. They probably are still using the same casting for both 3/4 and 1 inch RPZs. Their RPZ will need the same sort of disassembly that a Febco 825Y needs, come fall.

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I don't like the Wilkins or Watts because I can't find any damn repair parts for it around here. At least for the RPs. Right now I need a relief valve for a Watts 1" 009 RP. No suppliers here or one in Denver carry it. Has to be ordered.

4. Rainmaker

Rainmaker LawnSite Member

I have installed over 900 wilkins RP's in the last 4 years and only rebuilt 5 of them I switched from febco and watts before that I am 100% wilkins now and my brother in law is the febco rep in this area as much as I would like to give him the buisness I stick with the most reliable parts

5. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

i prefer to install wilkins

have also used febco conbraco and watts

while testing the alot of the new wilkins 975's ive seen alot of the #2 checks failing due to
    weak springs