1. Ask the Expert TODAY!
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Gather your top questions about fertilization and nutrient management and join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental TODAY at 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Running irrigation from another water supply source

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by SOSINC, Jun 8, 2008.

1. SOSINC

SOSINC LawnSite Member

Been kickin it around and was thinking about making a set-up to where I would run my downspout into a underground tank and then use that water for my yard.

I also got a creek that runs in my back yard too but the water supply is small when the heart of summer hits. I got a very small spring that start at the backyard.

So what I would like to know is has anyone here done something like this and where and what did you use on your set-up( pumps,tanks<.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Keep kicking, but the idea isn't cost-effective. You got acreage, you can dig a reservoir, and pay to keep it mosquito-free.

3. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Run ya gutters into the ground , use the earth for a holding tank and sink a point well.

4. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

Make sure you install a float switch on your pump to prevent it running when tank is dry.

5. SOSINC

SOSINC LawnSite Member

What kind of tanks would you use and how big?

I was thinking about at least 750-2500 gals.

I could run a pump from the creek and my downspouts to that tank.

Or would a well be a cheaper option? Don't know what they get now days per foot.

6. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Well..............

7. FIMCO-MEISTER

FIMCO-MEISTER Banned