Rural, Small town application possibility.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by tyler_mott85, Mar 17, 2009.

  1. tyler_mott85

    tyler_mott85 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 582

    My parents live in a small town of less than 1k people. The guy that used to do all the selective spraying for the city and about 15% of all the townspeople has deciding to get back into farming and without notice has thrown in the hat!

    so now a whole town with no competition in it is just BEGGING for me to jump into it.

    There would be no fertilizing. Just city properties and larger lots anywhere from 1/4 acre to 2-3 acres. This is all bermuda grass in that area.

    I'm trying to think of one good setup to run all these properties. I was thinking of a 300 gal tank on a trailer with room for an ATV on the back? I saw an ATV the other day that has molded tanks sitting on the front and back of the ATV.
    I could just hook up to the trailer and fill er up when i get to the town using the fire- hydrants and use the tank with hose for the smaller properties or just fill up the ATV for the large acreage properties.

    Any suggestions? Thanks.

    RABBITMAN11 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,449

    Here we go let him have it!
  3. ArTurf

    ArTurf LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Ark
    Messages: 4,182

    The ATV sprayer will not get it done, no way to control rate of application. No offense but it sounds like you have a lot to learn and you need to get licensed. I can say this because I've been there and still am there to a degree. Do a lot of reading on here and contact your state extension service.
  4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

    DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 9,203

    Yep, get lic. and learn, learn, learn.
    You do have to do some learning while doing.....but not without a lic and insurance 1st.
  5. tyler_mott85

    tyler_mott85 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 582

    None of these posts even came remotely close to answering any of my questions except for the following.

    Do not be so ignorant to think that people automatically do not have licensing.
    I asked if anyone had any suggestions as to a good setup for just spraying large properties. I do not see how that, in any way, suggested I am not licensed.
    There is a huge difference between spot spraying small yards in a city versus blanket spraying large acreage. I have never heard of any study material required to get licensing that will help with answering my question. You all need to re-read the question. I was asking what set-up you would suggest for the properties I am talking about.

    If you aren't going to answer my question do not post. I do not have time to browse through post after post of information that is not even relevant to my question.
  6. mngrassguy

    mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,167

    Wow, hope your wearing a flame suit. lol Most guys on here will assume you are not licensed by the way you asked the question. Don't take it personal. In some states, all you need is a warm body to get a license.

    First, why would you spray weeds without fertilizing at the same time? Weed controls won't work as well when the lawn isn't growing. A good fert program will promote a thick, green turf that will be resistant to weeds.

    Next, you can't fill from a fire hydrant without proper back flow prevention or a proper fill pad with diking. Of course, if you were licensed you would already know this. Many city water works departments and seed co-ops have fill pads available.

    Last, ATV's work well for spraying open fields and such where an uneven treatment would not be a problem. Residential, well maintained way.
  7. tyler_mott85

    tyler_mott85 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 582

    Thank you for your response mngrassguy. I don't try to be rude I just get tired of everyone making stereotypical assumptions about people. Get to know the person, maybe ASK them if they're licensed then you can make your comments.
    The properties I'm looking into are more of city commons areas. No lawn down in this part has irrigation. People don't care if they're lawns are green, they just don't want to the weeds. It's pretty much a small farm-town. Fertilization just isn't a priority to these people.

    As far as I know I'm able to rent a meter from the city and it will take care of the Back-flow prevention and they will read my meter and charge me for the water that way.
    This is the way I've always gone it to fill hydro-seeders and the works. I have not checked on a fill pad because I have never had to use one in my parts.

    The ATV would be a stretch, i know that. But these are not well maintained turf. These people go out once a week with their JD riding lawn mowers and mow the lawn as short as they can and run over all the gopher mounds in the process. This is just to control weeds. I have never used a large tank with hose much to know how much work it is. The properties I maintain now just require the use of a back-pack sprayer.
  8. mngrassguy

    mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,167

    Meters around here do not include back-flow prevention. City wells do not have legal fill pads for pesticides here either.
  9. cantoo

    cantoo LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,910

    I think I have pics of my Steiner sprayer on here somewhere, maybe search my name. We do the same type of properties you are talking about. Spray alot more than we do fert. Retired farmers just want most of the weeds gone, don't care about every single weed or even the lawn drying out. Hose is a waste of time for us. The Steiner will go almost anywhere we need it and if the property is real small we have a backpack sprayer.
  10. Terraformer

    Terraformer LawnSite Member
    Messages: 184

    I use an ATV to spray large properties. I get great results? Just make sure you calibrate the sprayer for the product your going use. The setup I use (Polaris X2 w/Fimco 25 gallon tank) allows me tackle any hill or ravine with confidence. My favorite configuration allows me to cover 30 feet with each pass.

Share This Page