RV antifreeze: how much is enough?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Fresh_Cut, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Fresh_Cut

Fresh_Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Temps supposed to drop here in ATL and I'm done with round 1 so I opted for the glycol over the electric heating pad & blanket technique.

No time to wait on Amazon so I went to Napa @ $4.49/gal. I'm trying to stretch it out.

How many gallons yall use for a 300 gal. skid with 300' of hose?

2. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the minimum temperature you are expecting?

http://msdssearch.dow.com/Published...rans/pdfs/noreg/180-01314.pdf&fromPage=GetDoc

The chart there will tell you the minimum concentration of propylene glycol for both freeze and burst protection at different temperatures. Though I'm guessing that even 20F may be lower than you need.

I believe that burst protection means that you will have a slush that cannot be pumped, but that may still be sufficient for your safe storage needs.

3. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

Cause winshield washer fluid. A lot cheaper than rev àntifreeze. I blow my hose out with air and let it dry. After that it only takes a few gallons in the tank. How cold is it going to get.

4. ETM

ETM LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GEORGIA

Walmart is so much cheaper. Only getting to 31 tonight. It will be thawed by 9/10am. Winds tomorrow 10/15. Be careful

Fresh_Cut likes this.
  5. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

it won't freeze at 31 unless it is several hours long

6. Fresh_Cut

Fresh_Cut LawnSite Senior Member

I don't shop at Wal-Mart.
    Also, you should read reviews on their RV antifreeze, many say it doesn't work

7. ETM

ETM LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GEORGIA

Mine worked fine. You should be good this morning. It’s only 34.

Fresh_Cut likes this.
  8. bmc1025

bmc1025 LawnSite Senior Member

If you have a diaphragm pump just run it dry till some air starts coming out the end of the gun. Leave the trigger locked on with nozzle facing down and empty the pump strainer cup. No AF needed.

hort101 and ETM like this.
  9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

At least take the filter off. Pay special attention to the pump--the most expensive part.
    Possibly take the intake hose off. And output hose. Drain or blow air through, or both. Windshield fluid into the pump for good measure.

ETM likes this.
  10. Young Bros

Young Bros LawnSite Senior Member

Up here we empty the tank best we can, then dump in gallons of RV antifreeze. Maybe 10 gallons, enough to recirculate thru the hoses. Have gone light before and the screen busted out due to freezing. So we go heavy on it.