Lawn Care Forum banner

RWF, Inc.

746K views 2K replies 200 participants last post by  Shorelandscaper 
#1 ·
Here's a recent redo for you. Good customers of mine that I know. They bought the house this winter and you can see how nice and 'mulchy' the backyard is....not very user friendly.

Plant Property Plant community Tree Natural landscape

Plant Building Window Property Tree

See less See more
#2 ·
Some tear down going on and the Bobcat earning its keep! Wheeled machine would not have worked. I don't know why pictures never do a slope justice but the driveway is a good 3' grade difference and in just pure mud. Look at that, sod to the site! Not having to wheel it around through the mud etc :clapping:

Plant Wood Road surface Tree Grass

Plant Tree Vehicle Wood Grass

Plant Automotive tire Tree Wheel Motor vehicle

#3 ·
We were laying sod right behind the irrigation sub......went smoothly and saves time from having to hand water or move sprinklers and crap around.

So you can see the bulk of what was done. The Liriope, Nandina 'Heavenly Bamboo', and Hosta were all transplants. The yellow is the fall foliage of some flaming ORANGE twig Dogwoods and Mountain Laurel in front of them. There are two Redbuds stuck in there along with Winter Jasmin along the top of the boulders. Nandina is massed beside the steps and also 4 tons of stone under the deck. This is a very simple landscape, functional, year round interest and a nice back yard. Desire was for a lot of usable space and more plantings will take place in the future following the same 'native' look we have going on.

The canopy of the trees is about 80' up and I am encouraging them to do landscape lighting. Uplighting + Moonlighting would look awsome!

I'll get better pictures later, these were in a rush at dark after meeting/selling the neighbor :)

Plant Plant community Tree Natural landscape Wood

Plant Leaf Tree Natural landscape Wood

Plant Building Window Tree Land lot

#10 ·
Actually my sister's house......back corner. Marine clay and water issue to add to it. Like the neighbors dead pine? I was experimenting with perennials btu the deer ate them, even the ones they weren't supposed to.

And how to hide an AC unit :)

And some 'bushes'.

Plant Natural landscape Tree Grass Evergreen

Plant Building Window Fixture Architecture

Plant Window Plant community Building House

#11 ·
If 8 fills the schedule and turn good net.......thats being selective and good.

Now, as I know you're probably working on, secure the same for next year and have a second crew (2-3 guys) doing other, smaller say up to $20,000ish, jobs for quick cash. The truck and equipment for them should be paid for in a couple months. Outfit them with a skid steer (go track since you've got wheels) and some other goodies and you shouldn't have a problem breaking even the first year. Fast forward to the second year.......looks green doesn't it?

#13 ·
If 8 fills the schedule and turn good net.......thats being selective and good.

Now, as I know you're probably working on, secure the same for next year and have a second crew (2-3 guys) doing other, smaller say up to $20,000ish, jobs for quick cash. The truck and equipment for them should be paid for in a couple months. Outfit them with a skid steer (go track since you've got wheels) and some other goodies and you shouldn't have a problem breaking even the first year. Fast forward to the second year.......looks green doesn't it?
I am planning to stick with the larger jobs. I think i finally figured out cost effective advertising methods to reel these leads in. I just need to the adds more guys and some equipment to rap these things up quicker. These big jobs are just smaller jobs put together. I am planning to go to a 5-6 man crew with 2 formen. Almost every job i have done this year could handle the large number of guys.

Frankly, i do not have much interest in smaller stuff. I like to always challenge myself and try to accomplish stuff that seems so far out from anything i ever done before.

What i am doing though, is setting these big install customers up for smaller add on later. I just finshed a 40k install, were we will go back next year and throw in 12k more in plants.

#18 ·
Nice looking jobs.

You don't have to convince me about tracks. I don't know how anyone can say wheels are as efficient. Even without the slopes like we have around here, I'd hate to go back to wheels.

#20 ·
hmmm, haven't had cookie dough

Yeah the truck is dirty.......in and out of the shop for two weeks + rain + dirt site = mess but thats what this weekend is for, cleaning.

Muscles.......want to grow? I suggest dropping the lawn care. More and more people are tied up with little crap from fussy customers they don't have time or money to put into constuction needs. They spend more dollars on mowers and grow with pennies, doesn't work so well that way. In my area anyway.......too much competition and cheapo's.

Green.......thanks! People punch numbers all the time with tracks and nag about the cost like they do fuel mileage on a work truck. Same with fuel, I don't pay it, my customer does. Tracks aren't so expensive when you're working and the other contractors are packing up to go back home now are they? Lets see, sit at home with $0 losing a day(s) production or work and make $........its a no brainer.

Rusk.......I would sitll encourage dabbling in smaller jobs. Larger jobs are job security and smaller jobs are often better money makers. Mix the two and you're good to go......its not what you gross but what you net.

Random: "Don't worry about the dollars, watch the pennies" as my grandpa told my Dad and he to me.

#21 ·
Muscles.......want to grow? I suggest dropping the lawn care. More and more people are tied up with little crap from fussy customers they don't have time or money to put into constuction needs. They spend more dollars on mowers and grow with pennies, doesn't work so well that way. In my area anyway.......too much competition and cheapo's.
Couldn't agree more man. So many people can't even afford to have an LCO at their place to begin with. Its just so hard for me cause I'm too young to own a truck but I'm gettin one this fall so it's all good. You'll see some awesome hardscape pics posted by me next year.

Random: "Don't worry about the dollars, watch the pennies" as my grandpa told my Dad and he to me.
What do you mean by this? I thought it was the other way around. Being "penny wise, dollar dumb" is what I've heard is bad.

#22 ·
Meaning, all the regular day expenses etc can really add up.

Say you debate a $100 pair of shoes and think hard on it yet you buy $5 of soda/snacks every day and think nothing of it. Based on just a 20 day work month, you just hit your $100 without the hard thinking.

#25 ·
I'm located in Ashburn, VA. Where did you move south.....in VA? I'm from Danville and can not wait to leave this area but now I've got this dang business :) :( Stuck here for a few years, then I'm out.

Maybe I'm ******** but I hate spending money on food. Go out and get a steak, dirnk water + tip you're still spending at least $20 for 12oz......and its not nearly as good as just grilling it at home.

#26 ·
Grew up in herndon...basically .5 miles from where route 7 hits fairfax county parkway. Parents still live there. Moved to Richmond...much slower, but not too slow. Cant beat the business and population density and people with $$$ in nova though. If you are ever down this way, send me a pm...we can grab a bite...or just grill out.:drinkup: