• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Ryan Aerator Engine Swap ?

lil_cote_93

LawnSite Member
Hey guys. I am planning on switching my engines on my ryan lawn aerator. (Briggs to Honda) I was just wondering if any of you guys have done this before and could give me any advice? Do I need to take off the front drum? I did a search and couldnt find any threads on this previously...
Thanks in advance, and sorry to bother you guys.

IMG_4099.jpg

OP
L

lil_cote_93

LawnSite Member
This is not the exact machine, but same model...

FIXDISS

LawnSite Senior Member
Looks like that one has been changed to Honda already so it should be simple enough to duplicate.

topsites

LawnSite Fanatic
Yeah that is a Honda... ;)
Anyhow, that looks awful similar to my Classen aerator, except mine's red, from the look of things that's the only difference I see...

I wouldn't think much further about replacing it until it stops running completely, or close to it...
Those engines ain't cheap, the Honda on mine is a 5 or 5.5 hp and it's dang near a grand, like $900+...
That's really the worst part about replacing it, why I've never done it but the rest should be easy.

If it ain't running right it might be easier to fix it, certainly cheaper.

But let's get started...
They're not hard machines to work on at all, I've had mine down to individual components before, it does take some time
but the entire machine is a simple piece of machinery, easier than a lawn mower if you ask me.

Should be just 4 bolts holding the engine to the frame, I'm not sure how the
transmission disconnects from it but I'm pretty sure that will have to be separated.
In that process you might have to get into removing the axle that powers the belt pulleys, not sure but that part's easy too
because it's a two part axle, there's a keyed shaft in the center that holds the two halves of the axle together.

Beyond that there's the throttle cable, and that's about it.

I doubt seriously you'd have to remove anything else, accessing those 4 bolts might be a
bit of a trick but I would try it from the back end, careful working around the tines.

As you know, assembly is the reverse of that :p
Good luck finding a decent engine.

Last edited:

DT Lawn Care

LawnSite Senior Member
Those engines ain't cheap, the Honda on mine is a 5 or 5.5 hp and it's dang near a grand, like $900+...
That's really the worst part about replacing it, why I've never done it but the rest should be easy.
Wow, I was at a dealer yesterday, they had an old new stock 9 hp Briggs Intek, horizontal like these for $268 on sale! ;) Not a bad deal, eh?

OP
L

lil_cote_93

LawnSite Member
not a bad deal at all..
but to clarify things. I have a machine similar to the one in the picture.
IT has the briggs engine. I have a SPARE honda gx 120 in the shop, from a ryan, and it already has the transmission and pulley hooked up. so its basically just accessing those 4 bolts with a wrench on both ends. thanks for the help topsites

Jason Rose

LawnSite Fanatic
Right. as long as it's a gear reduction engine (with the gearbox attached to the output shaft of the engine) it should be a pretty much direct swap. A Lawn Air4 dosn't NEED much horsepower. The gear reduction makes it possible to have the torque you need with just 3 horsepower. Mine does fine with the ancient 3hp briggs on it, though it smokes pretty bad after it's good and hot, lol. It's cheap and does the job, so I just add some oil and keep on trucking. Can't justify 3 grand for a new machine that I don't use that much, and a new engine with the gear reduction is EXPENSIVE.

pugs

LawnSite Gold Member
Yeah that is a Honda... ;)
Anyhow, that looks awful similar to my Classen aerator, except mine's red, from the look of things that's the only difference I see...

I wouldn't think much further about replacing it until it stops running completely, or close to it...

If it ain't running right it might be easier to fix it, certainly cheaper.

But let's get started...
They're not hard machines to work on at all, I've had mine down to individual components before, it does take some time
but the entire machine is a simple piece of machinery, easier than a lawn mower if you ask me.

Should be just 4 bolts holding the engine to the frame, I'm not sure how the
transmission disconnects from it but I'm pretty sure that will have to be separated.
In that process you might have to get into removing the axle that powers the belt pulleys, not sure but that part's easy too
because it's a two part axle, there's a keyed shaft in the center that holds the two halves of the axle together.

Beyond that there's the throttle cable, and that's about it.

I doubt seriously you'd have to remove anything else, accessing those 4 bolts might be a
bit of a trick but I would try it from the back end, careful working around the tines.

As you know, assembly is the reverse of that :p
Good luck finding a decent engine.

Sounds like you are getting hosed. I think we sell the honda 6:1 GX160's for about 450-500.