Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Told y’all I like my Ryobi 😉
Watch your second video and see how you are stooped at the waist. If you had a Darwin’s Grip you would be standing completely upright and eliminate back strain. That stooped position is where the average string trimmer operator experiences back, shoulder, elbow pain, and overall fatigue.

BTW, my Echo 2620 T equipped with Black Diamond line would cut through those weeds like butter and never hesitate or change sounds.

I know you well comparing two battery trimmers. But for my personal use in heavy overgrown grass and weeds I must stick with a gas trimmer. Although I would enjoy the quietness of the battery equipment.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Watch your second video and see how you are stooped at the waist. If you had a Darwin’s Grip you would be standing completely upright and eliminate back strain. That stooped position is where the average string trimmer operator experiences back, shoulder, elbow pain, and overall fatigue.

BTW, my Echo 2620 T equipped with Black Diamond line would cut through those weeds like butter and never hesitate or change sounds.

I know you well comparing two battery trimmers. But for my personal use in heavy overgrown grass and weeds I must stick with a gas trimmer. Although I would enjoy the quietness of the battery equipment.
I’m too focused on making the video decent and not my stance, I totally agree I’d be miserable if I trimmed like this on the daily.

You’d think I’d have something much better to do on my first Saturday off in weeks other than go looking for overgrown lots to string trim, but alas…

Both these trimmers are more than enough for the accounts I do but it was interesting seeing what they could do when in over their heads. I’m using .095 black diamond so these were struggling with a sharp string just to point that out. But for residential battery string trimmers in 18” weeds throwing a 20” swath I think many would expect much worse performance. I should watch some videos of big gasser trimmers in heavy action.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Here’s the echo trimmer you mentioned in a comparison with the fs91. Watching this reminded me to point out that I was trimming that thick stuff at the lowest height. I’m certain that not knocking it down in levels made it much more difficult but I did that for a reason.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for posting the videos. My Dewalt will cut out like that when the machine gets warm but not as much as the Ego. Have you had any contact with ego or the dealer saying thats N & E(normal and expected)?
Never crossed my mind. After learning about the differences in the motors electronics I just accepted the Ego to be less able.

·
Registered
963 Posts
After watching the video, both trimmers seem to be slightly overloaded due to running to long a line, which can significantly decrease power. I know many brag about running 21” or more of line on trimmers and how much more efficient it is.

I prefer guard on, running 17” of line as it came from factory.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After watching the video, both trimmers seem to be slightly overloaded due to running to long a line, which can significantly decrease power. I know many brag about running 21” or more of line on trimmers and how much more efficient it is.

I prefer guard on, running 17” of line as it came from factory.
I prefer to keep it tight generally speaking also but sometimes it’s nice to let a little line out and cover some ground. Can’t trim curves and such with 20” of string out but that area behind the shed that the SW15 can’t get to gets done with some line out.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Overloaded with lots of line in 2’ weeds lol
What I'm saying is, with 2’ high weeds a shorter line would seem to be more efficient.

Look at the pendulum on a grandfather clock. To make pendulum swing faster you shorten the swing and vis versa.

Where you are right now, stand and hold both arms straight out on each side, now swing from left to right. Now tuck elbows to your side and swing left go right. Which moves faster and takes less effort?

Same principle with trimmer line, the longer line may carry a wider swath, but it takes more power to spin the line. Since the trimmer has only has a limited amount of power, the longer line is reducing the rpm's which is reducing cutting efficiency.

I'd rather run a shorter line with maximum power. At the end of the day how much time is really saved running excessive line and overloading trimmer.

It like the speedy drivers on interstate, you catch them at next rest stop.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What I'm saying is, with 2’ high weeds a shorter line would seem to be more efficient.

Look at the pendulum on a grandfather clock. To make pendulum swing faster you shorten the swing and vis versa.

Where you are right now, stand and hold both arms straight out on each side, now swing from left to right. Now tuck elbows to your side and swing left go right. Which moves faster and takes less effort?

Same principle with trimmer line, the longer line may carry a wider swath, but it takes more power to spin the line. Since the trimmer has only has a limited amount of power, the longer line is reducing the rpm's which is reducing cutting efficiency.

I'd rather run a shorter line with maximum power. At the end of the day how much time is really saved running excessive line and overloading trimmer.

It like the speedy drivers on interstate, you catch them at next rest stop.
I totally get it, it’s just that on maintained accounts the Ryobi can swing 18”-20” plenty hard to be useful. The places I would use that much string are places like under and behind big bushes around a house or other such things. I really wanted to find a just overgrown spot to take a realistic video of what I might possibly come across in my days but I could only find jungles lol.

·
Registered
456 Posts
To be fair to electric trimmers vs. string length - My Milwaukee trimmer is load-compensating. Meaning, the motor control will automatically increase/decrease amperage, to maintain constant RPM, regardless of load, string out, etc...

I am ASS_U_Ming that other electric trimmers would do the same, as well.

IF that is true, then yes, the electric trimmers would fare better by cutting these overgrown sections, with less line extended. This would allow them to to consume less energy, and therefore keep motor/battery temps cooler, and avoid overloads/shutdowns.

@Hurryupelectric - What is your opinion of the two trimmers in real-life, maintenance trimming roles? Still prefer the Ryobi better, or does the Ego make up ground there? Or is it as simple as you prefer the Ryobi in this case as well, simply because you have more history & comfort with it?

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Here’s a video I just found with very good testing of some electric trimmers. This guy has some cool equipment like legitimate vibration and torque sensors. @sjessen should find this particularly helpful. Something that wasn’t mentioned in the video is the stepped trigger response on the Dewalt. I watched another video showing it having a rather clumsy response that kind of clicks through 10 or so different speeds, I don’t think I’d like it but it’s a very powerful trimmer in this video. It does however accept universal attachments and that’s a big deal to me.

Now that the ego trimmer is able to spin clockwise I’ll be using it as my main trimmer for the everyday stuff. I’ve not used it at all on jobs because I’m better setup with batteries for the Ryobi. I have very little doubt that the ego will be more than adequate for efficient cutting of maintained accounts. I expect it to be my string trimmer moving forward while the Ryobi will be the edger as the motor rpms on the Ryobi are faster and spin the edger blade noticeably faster. While the Ego edger attachment is much better constructed it’s correspondingly heavier and cumbersome to me. I like my cheap Ryobi expand it attachments for the cheap build which translates into much easier use.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wonder if I should have gotten into Makita instead of Ego when I was looking into a new setup for good hedge trimmers. After the testing video and seeing all the attachments I wonder…

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Do the ego's really cut out that much like that? That's ridiculous. I'm not sure that my shindaiwa or my echo battery trimmers have ever cut out on me. The only time they do that is when the battery is dead.

My answer is yes, a gas powered trimmer that is decent would do much better.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do the ego's really cut out that much like that? That's ridiculous. I'm not sure that my shindaiwa or my echo battery trimmers have ever cut out on me. The only time they do that is when the battery is dead.
I mean, I wasn’t stopping the Ego because Ryobi has me on payroll. I stand behind my Ryobi stuff but never expected it to be stronger than a unit with higher voltage. Those videos were me trying legitimately to give a fairly accurate comparison.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts