Lawn Care Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
So, the ego's do actually cut out all the time like that ? That's pretty poor.

Is it worth noting that the ego unit you are testing has been modified or hacked to run the opposite direction? Since you are doing an unbias comparison and all we should make note of the fact that you reversed 2 of the wires and the motor rotation on the ego unit.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·

Is it worth noting that the ego unit you are testing has been modified or hacked to run the opposite direction? Since you are doing an unbias comparison and all we should make note of the fact that you reversed 2 of the wires and the motor rotation on the ego unit.
I was wondering this actually and I’m at the shop now playing with stuff. I let out some string on the ego and tried it both ways, it was equally as loud both ways, meaning the power was the same in either direction. It runs at full speed in the air for about 4-5 seconds and shuts off at the same time. While I can’t say with 100% certainty the modification isn’t to blame I used quality connections and a 20 amp switch, which in my calculations gives some headroom on amps ratings when converting to 56v. I also used heavier gauge wire in my wiring. Good point again though, it should be kept in mind while considering my findings.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
I would guess that if your ego shuts off in the air after 4-5 seconds that you have an issue with your ego. Whether or not it is still warrantied is another thing.

·
Registered
528 Posts
To be fair, the unit was designed to only let out a certain amount with the guard attached. It's kind of hard to fault it for that.

And it's worth mentioning, that running without the guard on any electric trimmer, is going to burn through battery life much quicker, if you're running them WOT. As mentioned above, they will intentionally consume more energy to maintain WOT, which translates into less battery life.

Let's not forget the spirit of the thread - A "Let's have some fun and find out what are they capable of" not a scientific, unbiased comparison to find "THE BEST!"

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Well, with my usual rebellious persistence, I’ve cracked the code of a Ryobi powerhead and reversed it. With the help of a multimeter, the internet, and some extra free time on this holiday weekend I sat and measured and made my moves. I’ve also put a Ego bump feed head on a trimmer plus extended string trimmer attachment with 3 more inches length then most trimmer attachments. I’ve found the ego trimmer head to be superior to the Ryobi head.

Lawnsite friends, without further delay, I reveal my Egobi dual direction and attachment capable powerhead 🎉

Road surface Asphalt Grass Road Wire

·
Premium Member
44,030 Posts

Here’s a video I just found with very good testing of some electric trimmers. This guy has some cool equipment like legitimate vibration and torque sensors. @sjessen should find this particularly helpful. Something that wasn’t mentioned in the video is the stepped trigger response on the Dewalt. I watched another video showing it having a rather clumsy response that kind of clicks through 10 or so different speeds, I don’t think I’d like it but it’s a very powerful trimmer in this video. It does however accept universal attachments and that’s a big deal to me.

Now that the ego trimmer is able to spin clockwise I’ll be using it as my main trimmer for the everyday stuff. I’ve not used it at all on jobs because I’m better setup with batteries for the Ryobi. I have very little doubt that the ego will be more than adequate for efficient cutting of maintained accounts. I expect it to be my string trimmer moving forward while the Ryobi will be the edger as the motor rpms on the Ryobi are faster and spin the edger blade noticeably faster. While the Ego edger attachment is much better constructed it’s correspondingly heavier and cumbersome to me. I like my cheap Ryobi expand it attachments for the cheap build which translates into much easier use.
Yes. Thanks. Saw this a week or so ago. Almost purchased the DeWalt but ended up going with the new Echo.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I have to say though, I’m still thinking the makita 40v line is looking kinda boss. 36v with two 18v batteries is practically immune to battery obsolescence. New battery chemistry comes out I’m betting makita makes an 18v battery with it. I also wonder how big of a problem a new chemistry really would be. Any brand that wasn’t interested in screwing it’s customers would just make new batteries with compatibility.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I have to say though, I’m still thinking the makita 40v line is looking kinda boss. 36v with two 18v batteries is practically immune to battery obsolescence. New battery chemistry comes out I’m betting makita makes an 18v battery with it. I also wonder how big of a problem a new chemistry really would be. Any brand that wasn’t interested in screwing it’s customers would just make new batteries with compatibility.
The 40V XGT line is primarily OPE centered. Lots of nice looking trimmers, blowers, mowers, etc. in that lineup. No chainsaws yet though, and the cost to buy is a lot

21 - 40 of 56 Posts