RZT50 Stalling all of the sudden

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by johny123, Oct 10, 2019.

1. johny123

johny123 LawnSite Member
    from ontario

My RZT50 (Kawasaki FRV691V) has been running fine for the past 3 years. It has worked great all summer until now. I took her out this past weekend, she ran fine for about 20 minutes of cutting. I started to notice her struggle a bit, and she also sounded different below (not the engine though). She gradually lost power and eventually stall out. She would start right up again but could hardly go 10 feet before stalling again. This continued with and without PTO engaged. But will stay running enough to get me back to garage with choke on.
    Once running it idles nicely, slow and fast idle, even with the pto on just not moving. It’s when I drive is when the problems start, thinking with the pto on. I haven't just driven around without it on. She just sounds like she's struggling, then she dies. The battery light also comes on when pto is engaged. But goes off when I disengage (keep in mind this is before I stall it starts to struggle after I drive around, and once it starts to struggle the light stays on. It either stalls out, or I keep choke on to get it back to garage.) But then once started back up light is off. Battery is good and has been checked.

I've been told this sounds like a governor problem but I don't know how to diagnose that. I was more thinking it could be the voltage regulator or stator not keeping charge to battery as it has to much load on it when pto engaged.... (although in idle it keeps running with it engaged so maybe its not) any help be great.

2. JoeRagMan

JoeRagMan LawnSite Member

Could be any number of problems, fuel quality, fuel delivery (clogged strainer?), mower spindles that are bad causing excessive load on the engine. When was the last time fuel and air filters were replaced? If it will run without moving/mowing, check battery voltage at WOT to see if battery is being charged. Process of elimination, good luck.

3. OP
    OP
    johny123

johny123 LawnSite Member
    from ontario

Thanks. So I checked the voltages at WOT, and its not my regulator or stator or battery.

now when it starts to loose power with pto on, I can shut pto off and keep it going while moving with some choke. If I don't move it and pto is off, I am able to keep it running fine again. But the governor hunts big time. (this is all after cutting grass for a few minutes with no issues. and multiple times a day. the spindles are all good and bearings as can move them freely no issue. and pto can be on in idle with no issues. So if governors hunting bad once it starts to loose power, do i have a carb issue?

4. hal

hal LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

Man does this need to be said again and again and again, check your coils.

BigFish likes this.
  5. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Fanatic

Yep !!

6. mowwheels

mowwheels LawnSite Member

Check to see if a welch plug on top of the carburetor is missing. Should be a small and a larger one. Having to choke it to keep it running would indicate the plug missing welch plug, intake air leak, dirty carburetor, etc.