Lawn Care Forum banner

Safe way to control aphids on japanese maples?

7K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  exmarkking 
#1 ·
I'm worried about chemicals that can burn/harm the leaves

Posted via Mobile Device

#3 ·
Imidacloprid applied to the soil. You may do this in conjunction with a foliar oil spray. Azatrol is not neem oil. It is the solvent soluble extract from the seed. That fraction contains the azadirachtin, which is an insect repellent and IGR. Neem oil pressed from the seeds is equivalent in effect to dormant oil.

#4 ·
Are they in pots or in the ground?
If possible, you could just plant some petunias around them and they might leave on their own. Ladybugs love em' too!

A blast of COLD water a few times a week for a while MIGHT rid you of them.

Horticultural oil spray directly on them does it quick.

OR a systemic root uptake pesticide if NO edibles are in the same soil.

#8 ·
I think the problem you're having is coming from the growing medium.

As you said, the plants in the ground are fine. I'd be looking at the watering situation before blasting them with pesticides. Imidacloprid will be useless if the soil dries out since it will be bound to the soil.

My suggestion would be to enhance the soil biology by adding foods such as fish hydrolysate, humic acid, compost and seaweed powder. This is a long term fix. By doing this, you'll enhance the resiliency of the soil and reduce watering needs.

Most pests are symptoms of soil problems.

I spent 1/2 my career in arboriculture treating symptoms with pesticides which does not work (meaning you have to apply pesticides time after time, year after year).

Careful with Japanese maples, you can damage the foliage even with a blast water.

#9 ·
Where can I get bacillus at? The couple that are in the ground are fine. I have over 30 in containers and all different varieties.
Posted via Mobile Device
Your last sentence is probably your problem.
30 Jap. Maples in containers sounds like a nursery environment.
You might want to research IPM practices.
I thought you might've had a customer/you with a few on a deck or pool area. I was wondering why the problem. If you had said roses, then....

Like another poster suggested; get your soil right first, couldn't agree more.

If that doesn't do the trick; go to garden center and ask for imicloprid.

Side note;
Do you know what you have?
Jap. Maple wise?

#10 ·
I know every variety. I build the soil that the plants are in, I've never had an outbreak before. I always spray in late winter for these types of things but this year we had some bad snow and ice storms so I was thinking that May have killed off a lot of pests so I didn't spray :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.