Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this isn't exactly lawn care but hopefully the safety issue will let this post stay here.

I have a Line-X brand spray on bed liner. Can I safely fill plastic gas cans while they are still in my pick up bed or do I have to take them out?

Thanks,

Joel B.

· Registered
1,309 Posts
take them out, what causes problems is static electricity. doesent matter if there is a bed liner or not

· Registered
35 Posts
We had a gentleman come by the fire station I work at trying to give away a bed liner because he learned the hard way. He figgured one of us would be smart enough to know better. As was said earlier do not slide the cans after filled without closing the caps as it will cause sparks. He told us that he had filled the one and started on his next and as he slid the first out of the way it lit like a candle. He told us its a good way to check your pace maker. So always make sure the lids are closed and the vents also. thought it might help.
John

· Registered
3,160 Posts
it's pretty unfeasable to remove your tank from the mower to fill it up. it's not the plastic is going to make it explode, its just the static electricity that's created when you slide it on material, namely plastic bed liners.

· Registered
1,301 Posts
Originally posted by Rick Jones
How about filling up a mower's plastic tank, from the gas pump nozzle, while it is on a trailer with a wood floor? I can't seem to find a definitive answer on this one.
Tidycut's article link pretty well covers all situations. You can also install old fashioned grounding straps under vehicle and trailer.
Static isn't always supplied by vehicle, trailer, or equipment. In some climates, a body (and some types of clothing)can easily generate a static charge by movement.
It's much better to be safe and be a little inconvenienced, than the alternative.;)
It's not like your going to get a second chance to be wrong in some cases.

· Registered
1,309 Posts
as far as filling a tank on a mower. static ecectricity is what causes the fires. the tanks are mounted on the mower, which is grounded to the battery, therefore no sparks. also you are not sliding the tanks around on another surface to cause static electricity.

· Registered
1,309 Posts
just make sure everyone else is a mile or 2 away when you decide to try that

· Registered
1,613 Posts
This topic was covered about a month ago when one of the LCO's posted that he had to take some time off due to 2nd and 3rd degree burns. Without doing a search, I believe his gas container blew up for this very reason. Point is, don't ever slide a gas container, and don't touch it without touching grounded metal (away from the container and it's fumes) first.

Most bed liners (formed or spray on) contain plastic. No matter how rough the surface they are able to conduct static electricity. The rest is common sense.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.