Safest way to kill Poison Ivy under trees?

SNKETR

LawnSite Member
I have a lot of Poison Ivy(PI) under trees I need to take care of, mainly Oaks. I'm talking some trees with +40' canopies that have PI covering almost every SQFT under them. Manual methods aren't feasible due to the amount of PI and that I'm reactive. What's the best way of chemically treating the PI without harming the trees?

Thanks

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
I have a lot of Poison Ivy(PI) under trees I need to take care of, mainly Oaks. I'm talking some trees with +40' canopies that have PI covering almost every SQFT under them. Manual methods aren't feasible due to the amount of PI and that I'm reactive. What's the best way of chemically treating the PI without harming the trees?

Thanks
Roundup in the late season/fall I mix mine with a surfactant and scythe or crossbow maybe try both.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
However--then you need to cover the area with something else.
And don't forget to saw off any vines that are climbing the oak trees. Tree pruning saw.
There is a good chance that the poison ivy will sprout again from underground roots and rhizomes. Maybe next year, too. Did you plan on bark chips? Is it too shady for grass--even if you pruned the trees?
A top-quality fescue shade mix could work--because you will be mowing it--which poison ivy cannot withstand. And you can spray it frequently with broadleaf weed control. Speedzone is a heavy duty option.
A ground cover like, ajuga, English ivy, pachysandra or myrtle could not withstand mowing or herbicide. Monkey grass could maybe withstand Roundup--but maybe that is just a rumor.

Last edited:

phasthound

LawnSite Fanatic
However--then you need to cover the area with something else.
And don't forget to saw off any vines that are climbing the oak trees. Tree pruning saw.
There is a good chance that the poison ivy will sprout again from underground roots and rhizomes. Maybe next year, too. Did you plan on bark chips? Is it too shady for grass--even if you pruned the trees?
A top-quality fescue shade mix could work--because you will be mowing it--which poison ivy cannot withstand. And you can spray it frequently with broadleaf weed control. Speedzone is a heavy duty option.
A ground cover like, ajuga, English ivy, pachysandra or myrtle could not withstand mowing or herbicide. Monkey grass could maybe withstand Roundup--but maybe that is just a rumor.
I generally curt the vine and paint the cut with Brush Killer so there is no contact with other plants. Once the vines die, their is still the issue of safely removing them.

Top Forums