Safety?

mcc7

LawnSite Member
What kind of safety equipment do you recommend if you were to just trim 1-2 foot tall weeds/brush/overgrown property's all day long? Full mesh face masks? Just glasses??? Thanks in advance.:usflag:

appalachianoutdoors

LawnSite Senior Member
If it is running a motor, I am always wearing hear protection (30db preferrable, if not at least 24bd). If it has any chance of throwing something towards my face, I am wearing glasses also. I always wear my chain saw chaps and Stihl chainsaw boots if I am running a chainsaw, exceptions being taking a small branch off or triming with my pole saw on the Kombi system. Sounds like overkill, but I have yet to need to head to the urgent care clinic. My other thought is that a little prevention is always worth it in the long run and my safety equipment cost less than my deductible if I did have an injury.

metro36

LawnSite Silver Member
If you are using a string trimmer or brush cutter I would wear a forestry helmet (hardhat with attached earmuffs and wire mesh face shield), safety glasses, gloves, long pants, long sleeved shirt, heavy boots. I always try to cover up exposed skin when trimming brush or tall grass, it protects against flying debris and poison ivy. You never know what you are going to hit on these jobs so you can't be too careful.

If you are running a chainsaw, I would use all the same plus chaps.

OP
M

mcc7

LawnSite Member
Thanks guys! Has anyone ever used the combo mesh face shield ear muff from Harbor Freight? Its around $10. I think it might be a good fit for me. Do you use safety goggles in addition to a mesh face guard?

metro36

LawnSite Silver Member
Thanks guys! Has anyone ever used the combo mesh face shield ear muff from Harbor Freight? Its around $10. I think it might be a good fit for me. Do you use safety goggles in addition to a mesh face guard?
I had one of the helmets w/ a solid face shield from harbor freight. It was a total pos. Didn't fit well and the lens scratched easily. I didn't try the mesh one though. I use a husquvarna one now. Its comfortable and has held up well. I think it cost about $50.

I would wear safety glasses under the shield. That way things can't bounce up underneath it. If you wear prescription glasses you might want to consider goggles, otherwise I think safety glasses would be fine.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
I have a ton of stuff from HF that my neighbor is always buying for me when he goes down there to pick something up for himself. I have yet to ever see anything from there that isn't chinese made, and mosyt if it is plain junk with but few exceptions. Their metals are nowhere near as good as those form european countries or the good old USA. Skip the crap from there and buy a good Stihl helmet system, or the face shield/earmuff combo they make, or the helmet system from Husqvarna/Jonsered. The quality of the metal in the shields is worth the extra money spent.

I like a good deal as much as anyone else, but I simply can't see short cutting where safety (especially my eyes/face/head) is concerned. I paid about $29 for my Jonsered helmet system, and I've used it for about 10 years now, and it's still going strong. Let me tell you, when a junk of wood (even a small one), or a stone gets hurled at your face and hits the screen, you'll be glad that you spend a few extra bucks for a quality shield.

AlohaMowing

LawnSite Senior Member
I use ear plugs plus ear muffs, and wish I had started the double protection years earlier. Maybe I'd hear better now if I had.

If conditions are dry, don't forget about all the dust that will be inhaled. I don't like wearing a dust mask, but it can help keep the lungs healthy and can be especially important if you have any allergies to dust or pollen.

mbigred

LawnSite Member
HOW MAKE A HOME MADE STRIPER FOR A PUSH MOWER OR A W/B ?? HOW A ABOUT USING A 2' PIPE WITH SAND IN IT?:confused: