Safety!

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by DanielLawnCare, Jan 12, 2018.

1. DanielLawnCare

DanielLawnCare LawnSite Member

I would like to get my license and be able to offer fertilization and weed control to my customers. However everything I read it seams dangerous for the applicator. I don't know if I want to subject myself to that. But I'm also loosing work to other companies that offer chemical treatments. So how dangerous is it? Or is there something I'm missing? I'm curious to hear from the guys who do this day in and day out.

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

If you follow the label directions and precautions--you should be OK. Lawn products have to be tested many times at high concentrations on rats and chickens and so forth. Be sure to wear, boots, gloves and eye protection.
    Keep in mind the inert ingredients of common herbicides--in the concentrated form--are very dangerous if splashed into the eyes. Wear goggles when mixing and measuring the concentrate.

If you like to be sure--use only products that have low levels of toxicity--for instance: products that have an LD 50 of greater than 1000.
    The higher the LD50, the less danger involved.

Think of the LD 50 as the number of ounces needed to kill a whale. Higher numbers are better.

That Guy Gary and RDALawns like this.
  3. RDALawns

RDALawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Texas

can't add much to this post. You just got the best answer you can get. PPE and following the label. Your good. Remember what's on the label is law.
    Your way more likely to wipe out a koe pond or a pet birds than yourself.

4. Digitaria Sanguinalis

Digitaria Sanguinalis LawnSite Member

PPE anyone, anyone? protect yourself

5. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Platinum Member

LD50 means lethal dose that would kill 50% at a given rate. Nothing to do with whales.

6. Mow-Daddy.com

PPE personal protection equipment.

RDALawns likes this.
  7. Digitaria Sanguinalis

Digitaria Sanguinalis LawnSite Member

Dress for the crash not the ride

hort101, RDALawns and Mow-Daddy.com like this.
  8. Mow-Daddy.com

Biggest consideration for yourself and others is (long term) effects.
    Example: round-up. Used for decades but now is being linked to cancer?
    Is it a carcinogen? Who know for sure at this point. I sub out all my spaying needs. The firt/squirt guy I work with send mowing and maintenance jobs my way. So am I really missing out?
    Not really, there are dozens of add on revenue streams you can add without long term worries. Plus once you get into squirt, you'll need more license, more insurance, continuing education.
    I'd just as well sub it to those who are already set-up.
    Choose wisely my friend.

9. DanielLawnCare

DanielLawnCare LawnSite Member

That is what I am worried about, is there actually long term effects of being a applicator? Or is it just possible? Ppe only goes so far and chemicals are chemicals. Boots dont protect your lungs so to speak. My dad passed away from early onset alzheimer's at 60. We donated his brain to research 2 years latter they said it was due to long term exposure to chemicals. He owned his own painting business for 35 years. My grandpa died from alzheimer's as well and painted and hung wallpaper for 40. I have been through several fert subs all have been very bad experience until the one I have now who is grate to work with but will fert only if subcontracted. And people around here love the one company does everything rule. So it has been a tough dilemma for me.

hort101 likes this.
  10. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

What is your general location?
    Sometimes it's a little different depending on location
    A respirator will protect your lungs
    Also following good procedures ie not spraying on windy days