1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Saftey first

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ryan Lightning, Dec 12, 2004.

1. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

Yesterday we did alot of pruning and covered the load with a tarp and put a 12' orchard latter and a 8' fibergalss latter on top. I forgot to bring straps so figured I could get to my house it was only a few miles. I hit about 40 and look in mirror to the latter starting raise up, before I could pull over I see both latters go flying though the air doing flips over the back ramp. I was very lucky no one was behind me. I will be sure to tie down every load from on. The latter could has went though a windsheild and killed someone.

2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

That sounds like a dangerous situation, we always have tie downs in the truck. We usually even tie down garbage bags when there might be a risk of them blowing out. You can never be to careful when it comes to hauling stuff. The one time you dont you could cause a wreck or even worse a fatality.

3. Harleyboy52

Harleyboy52 LawnSite Member

I was following a Coke truck on my motorcycle and the hand cart came off the back of the truck. When it hit the road it bounced about 5 feet in the air and then did the weeble wobble down the road right at me. I tried to get out of it's way but couldn't avoid it. I hit it doing about 45 and when it threw me the tongue of the cart hit me in the face causing a 6 inch gash starting at the corner of my eye running to my hair line. The cart was being held on with a single rubber bungee. I found out that Coke has had a lot of problems with that same thing in the past and not tried to fix the problem. I don't know if this dumb old lawn boy is smart enough to run an operation like Coke but I may get the chance to try. Please keep everything that you're carrying tied down.

4. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Is a latter the opposite of a former??